- NBA Power Rankings: The Final Regular Season Edition
- NHL Playoff Preview: Who's Gonna Win Each First-Round Matchup?
- Damian Lillard Kicks Off Massive Adidas Deal By Insulting Sports Legends
- Minor League Baseball Team To Offer Frog Legs At Concession Stands This Season
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Is Cornerback Becoming The Sexiest Position In The NFL?
The New York Jets have dominated the headlines this offseason, and rightfully so. They made a surprising run to the AFC Championship Game last year, have the most entertaining coach in the league, and are the stars of one of the best shows of the summer.
To top it all off, there is the juicy back-and-forth (or sometimes, lack thereof) between the team and star cornerback Darrelle Revis about a reworked contract. The drama surrounding Revis is only escalated by the mysterious, no-cameras-allowed meetings at shady diners during “Hard Knocks.” It’s a sports story that has everything – a star (Ryan), comic relief (Ryan) and a team that many believe can be a Super Bowl contender, if only the contract dispute could be resolved.
But is it a game changer for cornerbacks in general? Some are openly wondering whether corners are becoming the new glamour position in the NFL – and if they are, that means teams will begin to pay these new essential players more and more money.
Taking a cue from an upcoming Peter King article in Sports Illustrated’s NFL Preview issue, Darren Rovell of CNBC seems to believe in the overall business aspects of the new phenomenon. He declares:
But instead of teaching your son how to block the quarterback (and eat a lot), maybe you should be spending your time teaching him how to backpedal.
To back up the assertion, King and Rovell produce a chart that show wide receivers have gotten the biggest increase in money, followed by cornerbacks. For the period between 2001 and 2009, salaries for corners increased 138%. This is even more than quarterbacks.
Of course, the evolution of the Revis situation has a lot to do with just how sexy things get for conerbacks in 2010.
- Controversy Hits The MMA Ring
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.