- Davis, Rainey & Brown Among Top Week 3 Waiver Options
- Can The NFL's Off-The-Field Violence Problem Be A Symptom Of Widespread PTSD?
- Massive Freak J.J. Watt Might Become A Serious Tight End Option For The Texans
- Don't Be Offended By This 'Ray Rice Makeup Tutorial' Video: It's Brilliant
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Is Cornerback Becoming The Sexiest Position In The NFL?
The New York Jets have dominated the headlines this offseason, and rightfully so. They made a surprising run to the AFC Championship Game last year, have the most entertaining coach in the league, and are the stars of one of the best shows of the summer.
To top it all off, there is the juicy back-and-forth (or sometimes, lack thereof) between the team and star cornerback Darrelle Revis about a reworked contract. The drama surrounding Revis is only escalated by the mysterious, no-cameras-allowed meetings at shady diners during “Hard Knocks.” It’s a sports story that has everything – a star (Ryan), comic relief (Ryan) and a team that many believe can be a Super Bowl contender, if only the contract dispute could be resolved.
But is it a game changer for cornerbacks in general? Some are openly wondering whether corners are becoming the new glamour position in the NFL – and if they are, that means teams will begin to pay these new essential players more and more money.
Taking a cue from an upcoming Peter King article in Sports Illustrated’s NFL Preview issue, Darren Rovell of CNBC seems to believe in the overall business aspects of the new phenomenon. He declares:
But instead of teaching your son how to block the quarterback (and eat a lot), maybe you should be spending your time teaching him how to backpedal.
To back up the assertion, King and Rovell produce a chart that show wide receivers have gotten the biggest increase in money, followed by cornerbacks. For the period between 2001 and 2009, salaries for corners increased 138%. This is even more than quarterbacks.
Of course, the evolution of the Revis situation has a lot to do with just how sexy things get for conerbacks in 2010.
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- Jets Unsuccessfully Attempt to Convince Superfan to Return to Games
- 10 Of The Most Gorgeous Women In Sports Today
- MMA Fans Protest Over Brock Lesnar