- Team USA Stares Blankly As New Zealand Team Performs Ceremonial Haka Dance
- 5 Takeaways From The New NBA Live 15 Trailer
- 'Tiny Titan' Glitch Is Further Proof Madden 15 Is The Football Version Of Super Smash Bros.
- Cam Newton To Jerricho Cotchery, The Panthers' Sleeper Connection
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Mike Wallace Thinks He Should Have Broken The Single-Season Touchdown Record, Was 19 Short
Mike Wallace had a decent season, considering he played for the Dolphins, which featured an offensive line that was both not very good at football and not very good at being decent human beings. He had 930 yards and five touchdowns, which wasn’t bad, but also wasn’t very good (see Pro Bowler Josh Gordon — 1,646 yards, 14 touchdowns in 14 games — for the standard of “good” this year).
Wallace, who was paid a hefty sum to come to Miami, was disappointed in his final 2013 stat line. He thinks he could have done more, if his chemistry with quarterback Ryan Tannehill was better.
From the Miami Herald (emphasis ours):
“Definitely have got to get the deep ball going. That’s the difference between winning and losing a couple games. I should have had 15 or 20 more touchdowns. And that’s being modest. If you press me, you have no shot to cover me. Once I get you to stop your feet, it’s over.”
Just so we’re clear: The modest version of Wallace “being modest” is that he should have had 20 touchdowns, which would be third all-time. Randy Moss has the record for the most touchdown receptions in one season with 23. Are we really supposed to believe that Wallace could haul in 25 touchdowns, if he’s “being modest”? What’s the immodest calculation, 40?
Wallace has great speed and is definitely a downfield playmaker. But as long as he plays with Tannehill — as he knew he would be for some time to come after signing his five-year deal — he’ll have to revise his expectations. As the Herald points out, the Tannehill-Wallace combo had the worst completion percentage of deep balls in the league last year (6/36 on passes longer than 20 yards).
Photo via Getty
- Patriots Cheerleaders Enjoy Swimsuit Calendar Shoot in Cancun
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?