- SPORTSGRID ORIGINAL: The Future Of The Knicks (As Told By An 8-Year-Old)
- Important News: Jose Canseco To Appear In Movie 'Piranha Sharks'
- The NCAA's Talking Bench Sounds Like A Prison Inmate On The Prowl
- Tim Donaghy Says The NBA Is Rigged, Probably To Get You To Buy His Picks
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Richie Incognito Suspended By Dolphins As Team Investigates Jonathan Martin Bullying Allegations
Less than 24 hours ago he was protesting his innocence on Twitter: now Dolphins’ offensive lineman Richie Incognito has been suspended indefinitely by the team. Incognito had been named as the “ringleader” of a group of Dolphins’ players who had been allegedly bullying and tormenting teammate Jonathan Martin since his rookie season of 2012. Fox Sports reported that Incognito allegedly sent Martin “threatening, racially-charged texts.”
Martin left the team on Oct. 28, and his representatives have blamed Incognito and other teammates for his departure, saying that Martin was fearful of “what might happen to him” if he returned.
After initially downplaying reports of bullying as “mere speculation”, the Dolphins on Sunday released a statement saying that they would investigate the matter. Then, late Sunday night:
Richie Incognito was advised by Joe Philbin tonight he has been indefinitely suspended by team while NFL investigates, Incognito tells me.
— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) November 4, 2013
Team statement here. It may just be a formality, but it does prove that the Dolphins are taking this seriously.
CBS also reports that Incognito used to have a sign on his locker that read: Richie Incognito Does Not Like Two Things: Taxes And Rookies.
Both CBS and ESPN reported that Incognito and other Dolphins veterans allegedly made rookies pick up $30,000 team dinner tabs, even though rookies make a league minimum salary of less than $500,000.
And now, allegations that Incognito sent Martin racially-charged texts.
Garafolo: "Multiple sources told me Martin's camp informed Dolphins and NFLPA that Incognito sent threatening and racially charged texts"
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) November 4, 2013
— Patrick Bateman jr. (@kza95) November 4, 2013
READ: Jonathan Martin Case Takes More Weird Twists: Money, Bullying, And The Miami Lifestyle [SportsGrid]
- Filed Under:
- jonathan martin
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: The Real Story