- The Vikings Are The Most Dysfunctional NFL Franchise Of This Century
- SNY Host Blasts Jeter As A Clown Fraud For Doing Gatorade Commercial
- ESPN: Ray Rice Scandal Was A Case Of "Misdirection" And "Scant Investigation"
- We Thought Ticketmaster Was Screwing Us, But Now We Know It
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Russell Wilson Is Getting Divorced From His High School Sweetheart As Another Big Change Looms
Things change from when you’re in high school to when you’re a professional. If you’re 2012 third-round pick and Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson, one of those things happens to be your money, as he now has relatively little of it, and will soon have lots of it.
Half of $662,434 (that’s how much he’s due this coming season) is a lot less than the $120.6 million deal that Joe Flacco received after winning the Super Bowl two years ago. Did Russ do the math and figure it’d make more sense to get hitched AFTER he got paid, rather than go into his next contract with a crumbling marriage capable of cutting his deal in half should things go south? Is he protecting that money? We have no idea.
[Yahoo] “I have made the difficult decision to file for divorce. Clearly, decisions like these don’t come easy. Ashton and I respectfully ask for prayers, understanding and privacy during this difficult time. Moving forward, I will have no further comment on this personal matter.”
He’s a nice guy, she seems like a nice girl, and we’d believe they were splitting for the right reasons — but the fact remains that Wilson is most likely looking at the girl he married at 22 years old differently now that he’s an A-list celebrity with a massive amount of money coming to him in the near future. It’s a painful reality, but the business of being a football player is complicated with many standing to profit from your success.
Sad, but that’s possibly playing a role in this split.
Note: An earlier version of this article, which as noted is speculation, implied that Wilson was dropping his wife purely for monetary reasons. While this clearly isn’t the case, the role of Wilson’s new-found fame and upcoming fortune cannot be discounted.
Photo via Wikipedia
- Tom Brady Admits Weird Relationship Behavior
- Teila Tuli Heartbroken 20 Years After UFC
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- 10 Sexiest Female Tennis Players Ever