- Belichick Not Impressed With Mike Golic's Bill Belichick Costume
- Real Steel Is Real: Fighting Robot League Could Be Just Around The Corner
- Andrew Luck Is A Top 5 Quarterback And Nobody's Impressed -- Why?
- Vegas Helps You Pick Week 9 Fantasy DSTs
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
Russell Wilson Is Getting Divorced From His High School Sweetheart As Another Big Change Looms
Things change from when you’re in high school to when you’re a professional. If you’re 2012 third-round pick and Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson, one of those things happens to be your money, as he now has relatively little of it, and will soon have lots of it.
Half of $662,434 (that’s how much he’s due this coming season) is a lot less than the $120.6 million deal that Joe Flacco received after winning the Super Bowl two years ago. Did Russ do the math and figure it’d make more sense to get hitched AFTER he got paid, rather than go into his next contract with a crumbling marriage capable of cutting his deal in half should things go south? Is he protecting that money? We have no idea.
[Yahoo] “I have made the difficult decision to file for divorce. Clearly, decisions like these don’t come easy. Ashton and I respectfully ask for prayers, understanding and privacy during this difficult time. Moving forward, I will have no further comment on this personal matter.”
He’s a nice guy, she seems like a nice girl, and we’d believe they were splitting for the right reasons — but the fact remains that Wilson is most likely looking at the girl he married at 22 years old differently now that he’s an A-list celebrity with a massive amount of money coming to him in the near future. It’s a painful reality, but the business of being a football player is complicated with many standing to profit from your success.
Sad, but that’s possibly playing a role in this split.
Note: An earlier version of this article, which as noted is speculation, implied that Wilson was dropping his wife purely for monetary reasons. While this clearly isn’t the case, the role of Wilson’s new-found fame and upcoming fortune cannot be discounted.
Photo via Wikipedia
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts