- Utah Quarterback Travis Wilson Gets Wrecked Mid-Air And Lands On Head
- NFL Viewing Maps: Broncos At Seahawks, Plus Everything Else
- Lazy Texas A&M Collie Saved From Trampling By Heroic Cadet (Video)
- This One Play Sums Up All Of Saturday's College Football Match-Ups
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Sam Bradford’s Season-Ending Injury For Rams Almost 15 Years To The Day That Trent Green Went Down
It was Aug. 28, 1999, that the most famous pre-season NFL quarterback injury occurred, and it happened to the St. Louis Rams. Trent Green, anyone?
That city owes its first and perhaps final Super Bowl title to San Diego Chargers safety Rodney Harrison, who creamed Green on a blitz during their preseason game and tore every ligament in Green’s knee. That ushered in the Kurt Warner Era in St. Louis, and gave Dick Vermeil a Super Bowl title. In just three days it will be the 15-year anniversary of that fateful event, and of course the Rams are now dealing with this:
St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford out for season with ACL tear http://t.co/K3qmD6WP4I
— TIME.com (@TIME) August 25, 2014
ESPN first reported that Sam Bradford is out for season, after an MRI revealed a torn ACL of his surgically repaired left knee following Saturday’s game. Spooky how this could happen to the same franchise twice, almost 15 years to the day later. So, is Shaun Hill now the next Kurt Warner? Or, will Mark Sanchez ride in to try and save the day? I won’t venture a guess, because no one save for that guy who lived under the bridge and thought he was Abraham Lincoln thought that Warner would lead the Rams to the Super Bowl in ’99-00.
— Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) August 24, 2014
So this sucks for Bradford, whose career in St. Louis almost surely is over. Not saying his career is, because we think he’ll be back. Green had a great post-injury career with the Chiefs, don’t forget.
A brief history of other noteworthy preseason quarterback injuries:
* 2009: After leading the Patriots to an 11-5 record as a fill-in for Tom Brady in 2008, Matt Cassel was traded to the Chiefs, and tore his MCL in their first preseason game. He missed only one game, but posted a dismal 69.9 QB rating for the season.
* 2003: Michael Vick threw for 2,936 yards and rushed for 777 in 2002, his first full season with the Falcons. But in a preseason game against the Ravens in 2003, he broke his fibula, missing 10 games, and Atlanta went 5-11.
* 1978: Bert Jones, drafted by the Colts in 1973 to be the heir apparent to Johnny Unitas, was the Associated Press NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year in 1976, and in 1977 ranked first in completions, second in passing yards and fifth in touchdowns. But in the final preseason game of 1978, he separated his shoulder. Jones tried to come back in mid-October against the Jets but separated the shoulder again. He played four more seasons in the NFL, going a combined 12-26 as a starter.
- Filed Under:
- sam bradford
- 10 Hottest Moms in the Sports World
- Teila Tuli Heartbroken 20 Years After UFC
- Who's The Smartest Fighter in UFC?
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee