- Bullpen Madness: Which Closer Will Lose His Job Next?
- Hate LeBron? You're Copying This Guy, Who's Hated The King Since He Was Born
- Of Course Craig Sager Is Watching The NBA On TNT From His Hospital Room
- Tim Tebow Spent Easter In The Woods With A Duck Dynasty Guy
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Scientific Study: Losing NFL Teams Have Fatter Fans
Losing is the path to the fat side. Losing leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to donuts. Donuts lead to getting fat. I sense many donuts in you.
That’s the finding from a study in the journal Psychological Science, which took a look at what happens the day after an NFL game. In many cases, it’s not pretty.
One would think that more binge eating occurs after your team wins. But that’s not usually the case, according to the study.
The journal, Psychological Science, took a look at what happens to fans the day after an NFL game and found that supporters of the winning team tended to eat healthier foods, while the losing team fans tended to eat more saturated fats and sugars.
And, on average, fans ate about 16 percent more than they usually ate on Mondays, according to researchers from the Insead Business School.
Researchers said that it didn’t much matter if the fan was male or female.
So why does this happen? Researchers think that when a team wins, it boosts fans’ self control. When they lose, people are more likely to eat because they feel an identity threat.
In a further experiment, researchers asked a group of French participants to document an occasion when their favorite team lost or won. Later, in a task that was seemingly unrelated, the individuals who gave a written account of their team losing opted to eat chips and candy over grapes and tomatoes. The group who described a win chose the healthier food.
(Raises spare rib) Here’s to a losing season, I say.
- Filed Under:
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: The Real Story