- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 9 RB Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Reggie Miller Calls ESPN Story On Kobe Bryant A 'Coward's Approach To Journalism'
- Russia Unveiled Its 2018 World Cup Logo From A Space Station
- Dick's Sporting Goods TV Commercial Names Royals World Series Champion
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
An NHL Player Threw Out His Back While Enjoying Some Tasty Pancakes
All Los Angeles Kings left wing Dustin Penner* wanted to do was eat some pancakes. And who wouldn’t want to do that, with a stack of the things sitting right in front of you? Penner’s wife had just whipped some up, and he was ready to dig in.
And then, this 6-foot-4, 245-pound mountain of a man…hurt his back during a pancake breakfast:
“I woke up fine, sat down to eat and it locked right up. It never happened to me before.”
We’re surprised it’s never happened to him before – really, who hasn’t sustained an injury that forced them to miss work time (Penner sat out the Kings’ game on Saturday and may do so again tonight) during a pancake breakfast?
Seriously, though, it would be hard to love this story much more than we do. Weird sports injuries happen all the time, but rarely are even the strangest sustained while doing anything as innocuous as sitting down to eat pancakes. Is there anything more innocuous a person can do than sit down and eat pancakes? Sure doesn’t sound like it, from the way Penner described the incident:
“I just leaned over to dip into some delicious pancakes that my wife made. It’s just like it (the pain) wraps around you and squeezes…So it was disappointing.”
No word on whether the most disappointing part was the injury itself, or not being able to enjoy the pancakes.
*Making this story even better for us at SportsGrid: the fashion news editor of our sister site Styleite is named Justin Fenner – a name so similar to “Dustin Penner” that it sounds like either Justin’s alternate-universe twin, or an alias he thought of in a pinch to conceal his identity, if he were terrible at thinking of aliases. We have already derived more enjoyment from this similarity in names than is healthy, and have every intention of continuing to do so.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts