- You're Drafting Rashad Jennings Way Too Late
- 49ers' Ray McDonald Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges
- This Is Totally Your Year: The 2014-15 Pittsburgh Steelers Season Preview
- Bob Arum: Pacquiao Mayweather Fight Going To Happen In 2015
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Ilya Kovalchuk’s Mom Explains Why Her Son Is An Idiot
As we told you yesterday, 30-year-old New Jersey Devils star Ilya Kovalchuk retired, in his prime, walking away from the final 12 years of his 15 year, $100 million year, and an $11.3 million salary next year.
Ilya wants to go home and play in the KHL, and that’s his prerogative, just as it’s a Devils fan’s prerogative to call him an asshole. Asshole.
Momma Ilya has some numbers for you, though, to convince you that her son isn’t an idiot.
“After the lockout, there are a lot of restrictions at all teams,” she said. “They are also underpaid 20% [of their salary]. The League takes it as an escrow that may not be paid back if the NHL does not make profit. And then there’s government tax of 50%. That means on paper you are being paid $10 million a year, but in reality only 3. So the pendulum swung for Russia.”
How much Kovalchuk will make in the KHL is unclear, but there are reports indicating that he could end up making more annually at a taxation rate of 13%.
Yeah, but he has to live in fucking Russia.
- Filed Under:
- ilya kovalchuk
- New England Patriots Cheerleader's Final Auditions
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson Files for Divorce
- 10 Of The Most Gorgeous Women In Sports Today
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship