- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Bizarre Scene At European Youth Boxing Match, Ref Gets KO'd
- Your Comprehensive Guide To Giants-Royals World Series Intangibles
- Bryce Brown Or Anthony Dixon -- Which Bills RB Should You Grab?
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Hockey Team Unveils Jersey That’s Pretty Much Just An Ugly Christmas Sweater
In general, we’re fans of ridiculous minor league promotions. Whether it’s an absurdly expensive hot dog, a zombie night, a thinly-veiled shot at a disgraced Congressman, or a human cannonball act, it’s a constant source of entertainment to us to see just how far a team will go for some publicity.
In the case of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, they’ll plumb the depths of intentional ugliness to get people to notice. And it worked. And we’re glad. What you see above is the Christmas-themed jersey for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ minor league affiliates, based on…Christmas sweaters. The team showed off a few of its inspirations here, and they were undeniably effective in achieving what they set out to do.
The problem, of course, is that what they set out to do was really, really ugly – just like Christmas sweaters usually are. But is that even a problem, really? Here is a team bold enough that it will design a uniform it knows is ugly, and proudly display it to the world, not at all hiding from how ridiculous it looks. No, this is an achievement to celebrate, for it is a self-aware achievement in attention-seeking. And the Santa hat on the penguin is the tacky cherry on top of this delicious ugly sundae. In every way, this jersey is hideous. And on this day after Thanksgiving, we’re thankful that the Penguins would have it no other way.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts