- NFL WEEK 5 POWER RANKINGS: Stop The Madness, Please
- The NFL Will Never Solve Its Concussion Problem
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 5 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Twitter Reacts To Tom Brady's Worst Game Ever
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Bus Bomb In Russia Triggers Security Concerns For Sochi Winter Olympics
I guess we can’t mention the word “Olympics” without “riot” or “bombing” in the same paragraph.
After a summer of unrest in Rio de Janiero in which rioters took to the streets to protest Olympic spending, now we have this in Russia, relatively near to where the 2014 Winter Olympics will be held: a suspected suicide bomber set off explosives in a crowded bus in Volgograd, Russia on Tuesday morning, killing six.
Officials believe the woman was from Dagestan in the North Caucasus and was the partner of an Islamist militant.
The blast also injured more than 30 people, some of them seriously.
The BBC’s Steve Rosenberg in Moscow says the bombing has raised fears that militant groups may be planning to step up attacks in Russia in the run-up to the Winter Olympics in the Black Sea resort city of Sochi next February.
Between wars with Chechnya separatists and insurgency from Muslim militant groups, things have been pretty dangerous in southern Russia over the past two decades. Sochi is a seaside resort near the Black Sea where the Winter Olympics will be held, and is pretty much in the center of the troubled region.
And it seems like these days, anyone with a political gripe who’s looking for a media platform is drawn straight to the Olympics, or Olympics preparation, to make their big splash. It’s a wonder and a tribute to their security measures that nothing serious happened in Beijing or London over the past two Summer Olympics. Although the runnup to the Olympics is always more problematic, for some reason.
- Filed Under:
- Sochi Winter Olympics
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts