- Keith Olbermann Went Nuts Over The Ray Rice Suspension
- James Harden Says Truthful Thing, Everyone Gets Mad
- 6 Most Hated Owners That Were Once Beloved
- Tour de France Riders Gloriously Mooned During Stage 17
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
The Biggest Loser: Welsh Rugby Team Defeated 181-0
They’re calling it the worst defeat in the history of Welsh rugby, as Holyhead RFC, a third division team in the Welsh Rugby Union, was edged 181-0 by Llanidloes RFC on Sunday. May they rest in peace. The statistics are staggering, even if you don’t know much about rugby:
Llanidloes averaged a point every 26 seconds.
This beats the previous British record, when Norwich defeated Eccles & Attleborough 177-3 in a Norfolk Cup match in 1996.
Holyhead gave up 29 tries.
19-year-old Llanidloes fly-half Tom Morgan scored three tries and kicked 16 conversions.
In defense of the team’s performance, club representative James Hart told the Daily Post that Holyhead had been at a disadvantage on game day as the squad had largely been composed of younger, more inexperienced players. He also said that only 13 members of the team had made it to the away game, so their opponents had two more players on the field than they did.
Holyhead is taking the any-publicity-is-good-publicity approach to this, which is wise. Club officials are hoping the record loss will bring attention to the need to develop the sport in North Wales, and indeed, Saracens, an English professional Rugby Football Union team, has invited the team to come and train with them.
By the way, the record for worst rugby loss ever? French Third Division side Lavardac beat Vergt 350-0 in 1984.
That is, if you don’t count this match:
- Filed Under:
- Welsh rugby
- Texans Draw Andre Johnson Trade Interest From Four Teams
- Claudia Gadelha is UFC's First Strawweight Champ
- Larry Holmes told King He Can't Beat Tyson
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier