- The Vikings Are The Most Dysfunctional NFL Franchise Of This Century
- SNY Host Blasts Jeter As A Clown Fraud For Doing Gatorade Commercial
- ESPN: Ray Rice Scandal Was A Case Of "Misdirection" And "Scant Investigation"
- We Thought Ticketmaster Was Screwing Us, But Now We Know It
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Businessman Who Paid $15,000 To Play In British Pro Soccer Match Knocked Out After Nine Minutes With Groin Pull
Macclesfield Town, a cash-strapped Conference Premier soccer team from England, thought it could make some quick cash by offering the first-ever pay-for-play roster spot. For $31,000, said the team, any bloke off the street could come on down and play in a real conference game (your move, NHL).
But when word got out, conference officials put the kibosh on that. So the team downsized the offer: $15,000 to play in a pre-season game.
Macclesfield Town fan James Gorfin, 40, paid up and worked out for a week with the team leading up to its friendly on Saturday with Stoke City. And …
Gorfin played nine minutes before leaving the field with a groin injury.
That comes to about $1,670 per minute of playing time.
“I pulled my groin during training on Friday,” Gorfin admitted.
“If it had just been a five-a-side with my mates I wouldn’t have played but I wanted to have a go. I think a little bit of me had been trying to show that I could handle myself among these players.”
Remember Macclesfield Town's 'controversial' pay to play scheme a few weeks ago? Someone paid. Well done James Gorfin, Silkmen debutant.
— Matthew Brown (@mattbrown01) August 3, 2013
Photo: via Who Ate All The Pies.
- Filed Under:
- British soccer
- 10 Hottest Female Race Car Drivers
- 10 Sexiest Female Tennis Players Ever
- 10 Of The Most Gorgeous Women In Sports Today
- Who's The Smartest Fighter in UFC?