- ESPN Is The Distraction, Not Michael Sam
- Fantasy Football: Week 1 QB Rankings, Starts And Sleepers
- Just Kidding: Nebraska Wide Receiver's Behind-The-Back-Catch Is Already This Season's Best
- Grab Nick Foles, Watch For Tim Wright And Other Last Minute Draft Tips
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Fernando Torres Scores In Extra Time, Sends Chelsea To Champions League Final
Well, not the greatest week for FC Barcelona. Last week, they lost to Chelsea in Champions League action, then lost to Real Madrid over the weekend, all but ensuring their biggest rival will win La Liga. And today, just a few minutes from avenging that Chelsea defeat at home, Chelsea’s Fernando Torres, who came into the game as a sub for Didier Drogba, scored in extra time, salvaging a 2-2 draw… and, combined with their win last week, put Chelsea into the Champions League final, eliminating the team that not terribly long ago looked like the world’s most dominant in any sport.
Oh, and did we mention that Chelsea was playing with 10 men half the time after John Terry’s red card? Or that Lionel Messi, the world’s best player (though there’s going to be more chatter than ever about whether he is or not now) missed a penalty shot? Or that Chelsea’s other goal was also scored in extra time, at the end of the first half? Quite a bit going on here. Below, the goal from Torres that thrust this craziness into overdrive. Not a great week for Barcelona, but a hell of a night for Chelsea.
UPDATE: And another video, this one showing the goal as it happened… and highlighting the moaning reaction of announcer Gary Neville.
- Jon Jones Forced to Withdraw from UFC 178
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- The Top 10 Hottest NFL Draft WAGs
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier