- You're Drafting Rashad Jennings Way Too Late
- 49ers' Ray McDonald Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges
- This Is Totally Your Year: The 2014-15 Pittsburgh Steelers Season Preview
- Bob Arum: Pacquiao Mayweather Fight Going To Happen In 2015
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
A Group Of Hooded Fans Once Showed Up To Rio Ferdinand’s House To Demand He Re-Sign With Manchester United
In 2002, defender Rio Ferdinand left Leeds United of the English Premier League to join Manchester United for a record (at the time) £30 million transfer fee. In 2005, during Ferdinand’s contract re-negotiations with Man U, he waded into enemy territory when he was photographed with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon at a restaurant. Ferdinand eventually re-signed with United in August, many months after the beginning of negotiations.
But eight years ago, the strain of contentious negotations between Ferdinand and United had everyone on edge. Especially the club’s supporters, who were watching helplessly as a star defender’s possible depature neared. So a gang of hooded fans took matters into their own hands, showing up at Ferdinand’s house and demanding that he re-sign. But Ferdinand couldn’t see anyone on his security monitors, so he hatched a counter-plan of his own.
We’ll let Ferdinand tell the story in his own words (via The Independent):
“The 34-year-old told Four Four Two magazine: ‘So I go to the side door and grab a big bit of wood, jump on the side of the wall and I’m just about to scream ‘raaaah!’ when I see there’s a massive group of people, with hoodies and caps covering their faces.
‘I just thought, ‘I’m going to get served up in a moment, so go bananas and they’ll think you’re a nutter!’
‘Then one of them said, ‘We’re the United boys, f***ing sign your contract,’ and I was like, ‘What you talking about? I’ve only just started negotiating two months ago, what you worrying about?’”
Neighbors eventually called police and the gang scattered. Which is probably a good thing, because no one likes to have their asses handed to them.
[Four Four Two Magazine, via The Independent]
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts