- Brian Hoyer Is A Ford Bronco; Johnny Manziel Is A 1970's Jaguar. What Would You Choose?
- Jason Whitlock Explains Why The Seahawks Might Think Russell Wilson 'Isn't Black Enough'
- Lisa Ann Takes 19-Year-Old Notre Dame WR To Knicks Game, Sex Town
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Premier League Follows FIFA’s Lead, Cracks Down On GIFs And Vines Of Goals
In the future, we’ll look back and consider the Group Stage of this year’s World Cup to have been the Golden Age Of Using Your Phone To Take A Short Video Of A Goal And Post It To Social Media. GIFs and Vines were how most of us saw highlights of the games when we were stuck at work, and they allowed for repeat gratification as we watched Robin Van Persie dolphin dive a header, over and over and over.
By the third week of the tournament, FIFA had banned the posting of short, looping videos of their content to social media, and began actively targeting accounts that had posted said content. It’s technically a violation of their copyrighted material, so they weren’t wrong, even if, c’mon bro, it’s just a Vine, chill.
Sadly, FIFA’s war on Vines caught the eye of the Premier League, who will take up the good fight this fall. Via the BBC:
In an interview with Newsbeat, Dan Johnson, director of communications at the Premier League, said: “You can understand that fans see something, they can capture it, they can share it, but ultimately it is against the law.”
“It’s a breach of copyright and we would discourage fans from doing it, we’re developing technologies like gif crawlers, Vine crawlers, working with Twitter to look to curtail this kind of activity.”
He added: “I know it sounds as if we’re killjoys but we have to protect our intellectual property.”
At least Johnson knows he’s being a bummer. So, no more free soccer, guys — not even for six seconds at a time.
The new season starts tomorrow.
Photo via Getty
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts