- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- Fantasy Hoops: Why Not Make The Bucks Your Main Squeeze This Week?
- ESPN To Combine All Non-Bullshit Entities Into New Unit Called 'Exit 31'
- Here's A Photo Of Tony Romo Rooting For Duke
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
The Daily Yam: Brazil Trounced Spain Thanks To Guys Named Neymar And Fred
Welcome to The Daily Yam, bringing you Yesterday’s Awesome Moment, anything else you might have missed, and what to look forward to today. It’s your one-stop shop when you skipped last night’s action, or have forgotten what day it is. Last night, Brazil won the Confederations Cup, smashing Spain with three impressive goals — two of which by a man known simply as “Fred.”
Your Daily Yam.
Having won the last World Cup and two consecutive Euro tournaments, the Spanish national team has been dubbed “the greatest team in the world” by many, including their Brazilian opponents. Some might even say La Roja is the greatest of all time, in any sport.
Well, that run might be over after Brazil dominated Spain in the Confederations Cup final yesterday. Their 3-0 victory came easily, especially when the first goal came in just the second minute. Brazilian striker Fred (Fred!) put it home after a scrum in front of the net:
Fred also scored two minutes into the second half. (Scoring so quickly is nothing new to Fred, who holds the record for fastest goal in pro soccer history at 3.17 seconds.)
Neophyte Neymar had the game’s most beautiful goal right before halftime:
Although no one really cares about the Confederations Cup, this makes for a good warmup for Brazil with the World Cup right around the corner (on the soccer calendar, that is).
What Else Happened Last Night?
The Orioles swept the Yankees with a 4-2 win; the Pirates won their ninth straight win a walkoff over the Brewers, 2-1; Braves over D-Backs 6-2.
What’s On Tap Today?
Wimbledon Round of 16 action all day on ESPN. WATCH IT.
It’s Monday. The week is short.
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?