- Sorry Warriors Fans, But Plans For This New Waterfront Arena Have Been Scrapped
- Did Gilbert Arenas Win $100,000 Betting On 'His' Washington Wizards?
- This Is Why You Should Always Give A Foul Ball To A Kid (VIDEO)
- The Indiana Pacers And Their Fans Deserve Each Other
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
The Lady Who Designed Qatar’s Vagina-Esque Stadium Has No Idea What You’re Talking About
Zaha Hadid is an award-winning architect best known for the “powerful, curving forms of her elongated structures.” Also, she designed a stadium that looks like a vagina. At least that’s what nearly everybody, including us, thought when proposed design for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup stadium, Al Wakrah, was unveiled. Not really a big deal, though certainly notable.
But Hadid isn’t happy with the reception her creation is getting. She talked to TIME Magazine about it:
“It’s really embarrassing that they come up with nonsense like this,” Hadid tells TIME exclusively. “What are they saying? Everything with a hole in it is a vagina? That’s ridiculous.”
The curved, open roof is meant to evoke the the sail of the dhow, a traditional fishing boat common in Qatar. “Honestly, if a guy had done this project,” she adds, critics would not be making such lewd comparisons.
I mean… it’s pink. It does indeed have a hole in the middle. It’s supposed to evoke a fishing boat, and vaginas also evoke boats. It’s not that much of a stretch.
Like I said: It’s not a big deal. Buildings look like penises all the time. Look at this guy. In fact, the standard form for an office building is to appear phallic.
I, for one, am glad for the change of pace. It looks nice. As long as you don’t put hair on this thing, like The Daily Show did, we should be fine.
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: The Real Story