Colombia Beats Ivory Coast In 2-1 Thriller, Watch All The Highlights Here
Behind spectacular performances by Juan Fernando Quintero and James Rodriguez, Colombia will (most likely) move on to the Round of 16, while Ivory Coast will need a win against Greece next week and a Japan loss or tie. Here’s how Group C currently looks:
Check out the official Twitter hashtag for the match, #COLIVO, below.
– Ivorian midfielder Serey Die balling his eyes out to National Anthem pre-match.
– Lineups and formations…
— Jake O'Donnell (@_JakeODonnell) June 19, 2014
– Very small Colombian player destroys relatively large soccer ball with ant-strength.
– Juan Zúñiga puts the moves on Gervinho near the end line, ball just rolls out of bounds. Would’ve been nasty.
– Colombia tries trick play whereby Juan Zúñiga goes to take corner kick then casually walks away, subtly tapping the ball in play. Then James Rodríguez comes over and takes the ball and dribbles furiously towards the box. This ref ain’t having it. Nice try though…
– Teófilo Gutiérrez blows easy opportunity in front of goal as he begins to celebrate too early. FAIL.
– Yaya Toure shows us all why he’ll be making £200,000 a week at Manchester City for the next few years. Still not score (44′).
– Stat breakdown after 45 minutes of play.
SUBSTITUTION COLOMBIA (54′)
– Juan Quintero comes on for Víctor Ibarbo.
YELLOW CARD IVORY COAST (54′)
– Didier Zakora gets carded on rough challenge. Will miss next match.
– Wilfred Bony tries some crazy -ish to no avail. Things looking desperate for both sides, who are currently sloppy on the ball and delivering inaccurate passes.
SUBSTITUTION IVORY COAST (60′)
– The man, the myth, the legend: Didier Drogba comes on for Wilfred Bony, who proved he isn’t the right guy in front of goal after that silly bicycle kick attempt.
GOAL COLOMBIA (64′)
– James Rodriguez off a corner, which wasn’t anything special. The celebration however, was amazing…
SUBSTITUTION IVORY COAST (67′)
– Max Gredel replaced by Saloman Kalou.
GOAL COLOMBIA (69′)
– Substitute Juan Fernando Quintero scores off of steal at midfield. Colombia lead 2-0.
SUBSTITUTION COLOMBIA (71′)
– Pablo Armero comes on for Santiago Arias
GOAL IVORY COAST (73′)
– Gervinho basically does all the work on this one, possessing the ball from midfield on, cutting through four defenders.
– Juan Fernando Quintero almost scores from midfield.
YELLOW CARD IVORY COAST (90′)
– Tiote gets carded as four minutes are added to stoppage time.
FINAL: COLOMBIA 2 – 1 IVORY COAST
– Final stat breakdown: