Ok, the USMNT didn’t look in top form today, but they held firm and only allowed one goal to Germany, who seemed hellbent on scoring more than that. Cristiano Ronaldo was the hero, however, breaking the tie with Ghana and sending the US through on goal differential.
He taketh away, he giveth. Thanks bruh…
Group G table:
Keep up with the action on the official Twitter hashtag of USA vs Germany:
– This happened last night…
– Lineups and formations
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) June 26, 2014
— SportsGrid (@SportsGrid) June 26, 2014
– Fans and players’ families are late/won’t be arriving at the stadium, as the rain makes travel nearly impossible.
– US fans are pumped for the game, sing the shit out of the National Anthem. Klinsmann too :)
– Germany makes their way through the U.S. midfield too easily, almost score on insane scissor kick.
– Germany still pushing, look loose. Boateng miss hits a one-timed cross close to goal.
– US struggling to get possession, Germans are toying with them around the box. At this rate, it won’t be long before they score.
– 10 minutes in and the US has finally possessed the ball down the other end on counterattack outlet pass from Bradley to Dempsey.
YELLOW CARD GERMANY (11′)
– Benedikt Howedes takes down Fabian Johnson, ref doesn’t play advantage and should have. Jermaine Jones robbed of fast break opportunity.
– Omar Gonzalez makes huge play on ground cross as Germany having no issue getting the ball in front of Tim Howard with pace.
– Gonzalez makes another huge stop (14′).
– At 16 minutes, Germany has 70% possession.
– Rain hasn’t stopped, is affecting touches and long balls, which are accelerating upon hitting the wet turf.
– Zusi gets first shot on goal for US, just over the bar. Good counterattack by the Americans, who’ve played better in the last 10 minutes. Shots like this will keep Germany from advancing the ball with such nonchalance.
– DeMarcus Beasley breaks down four German defenders and single-handedly counters, Bradley whiffs on a volley in the box.
– Jermaine Jones knocked down by ref, could’ve had a play on Fabian Johnson’s cross.
– Portugal scores Ghanaian own goal, effectively giving the US a goal cushion against Germany.
– Jermaine Jones hit with Michael Bradley pass on seam route, almost scores touchdown.
– Ozil almost puts it past Howard (36′).
YELLOW CARD USA (36′)
– Omar Gonzalez smartly takes down Bastian Schweinsteiger in dangerous position 15 yards from the top of the box.
– Zusi skies a corner kick (41′). Game is slowing down.
– Jones creating for the US, Bradley can’t handle pass at top of box. Not looking sharp, follows up bad touch with a foul.
HALFTIME: USA 0 – 0 GERMANY
– First half stats:
SUBSTITUTION GERMANY (46′)
– Goal machine Miroslav Klose comes on for Lukas Podolski
– Omar Gonzalez proving why he’s making $1.3 million per year in Los Angeles, diverts Ozil header over the bar.
– Klose just inches away from putting Germany up 1-0. They look committed to scoring this half.
GERMANY SCORES (54′)
– Thomas Mueller continues his scoring binge, drills rebound off corner kick into side netting.
– Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan scores on Portugal. 1-1 in Brasilia.
SUBSTITUTION USA (58′)
– Alejandro Bedoya replaces Brad Davis who’s struggled defensively dealing with German midfield.
YELLOW CARD USA (61′)
– Kyle Beckerman carded as the game starts to become physical, referee has been very lenient thus far.
– Dempsey misses Jermaine Jones on counterattack, US have looked sloppy this half as chants of “USA USA” rain down.
– Neuer playing really far up as Germany look to be on some sort of power play. Simply dominating possession.
– Jermaine Jones and Alejandro Bedoya collide, hit heads. Receiving treatment on field.
– Jones has outplayed his teammates, rewarded with this…
— SportsGrid (@SportsGrid) June 26, 2014
SUBSTITUTION GERMANY (75′)
– Gotze comes on for Schweinsteiger
CRISTIANO RONALDO SCORES! PORTUGAL GOES UP 2-1!
– US goal difference is 0, Portugal’s is -3. Gonzalez doing work.
SUBSTITUTION USA (83′)
– DeAndre Yedlin comes on for Zusi, immediately puts a cross on in front of goal.
– Dempsey and Bedoya not on same page, miss chance to put a shot on.
– Beasley’s run stopped on a flop. Should’ve played on.
SUBSTITUTION GERMANY (88′)
– André Schurrle comes on for Mesut Ozil
– Dempsey almost equalizes in the waning minutes of the game.
FINAL: GERMANY 1 – 0 USA
– Full-time stats: