- Pretty Much Screwed: Why Your Team Won't Win The 2014 NBA Championship
- Here's How You Improve Golf's TV Ratings: More Mind-Blowing Trick Shots
- Best Job In Sports? Probably Michelle Jenneke's Butt-Masseuser
- A Formula 1 Pit Stop In 1950 Vs. Today's Is Pretty Damn Cool
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Is Germany Giving Putin The Big Middle Finger With These Winter Olympic Uniforms?
Germany has officially denied that their rainbow-themed Winter Olympics outfits are a comment on Russia’s homophobic laws and policies. But, I mean .. come on. This has to be Grade-A, 100 percent trolling.
If you missed it, uniforms of German Olympic team are the giant happy "F*ck you!" Putin and his homophobes deserve. pic.twitter.com/gGgsq5XNnA
— Steve Silberman (@stevesilberman) January 28, 2014
The unis, which debuted at a runway show in Düsseldorf today, were created by German designer Willy Bogner, along with Adidas and Sioux. Bogner says they were “an homage to the aesthetics of the 1972 Munich Summer Games.” Um … whatever you say, Willy.
But other commentators have seen a more explicitly political message in the uniforms. On Twitter, German users interpreted the uniforms “as a rainbow pattern” and as a “clear political statement.” “Looks great, like a gay and lesbian pride parade,” wrote one user. “Extremely hideous — but a well-intentioned move supporting the rights of gays and lesbians,” wrote another. The official description, which claims the outfits “were created using colors and materials specially tailored to the conditions in Sochi” seemed to, in ambiguous fashion, support that interpretation.
Whether the intent was there or not, these outfits are going to make quite a splash during the opening ceremonies. Think Bob Costas is going to go with the “1972 Munich homage” angle? Probably not.
Finally, the sentence “Those uniforms are so gay” will be heard as a compliment.
— Carmen Whitelock (@carmen_at_work) January 25, 2014
Your survival instinct might protest, but it's your duty as a worthwhile human to piss off Putin. The Germans did http://t.co/tCIaFpKWas
— Luke McKinney (@lukemckinney) January 24, 2014
Heeey Germany! You look cute in Olympic sized F U Rainbows! http://t.co/EK5jINMeWH
— Chani Nicholas (@chaninicholas) January 24, 2014
- Filed Under:
- Winter Olympics
- Rickie Fowler Keeps Himself Entertained Off the Golf Course
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.