- Power Ranking The Most Offensive Team Names In Sports History
- How Early Can You Draft The Legion Of Boom This Year?
- Kirk Minihane Doubles Down On Being An Asshole To Erin Andrews In On-Air Pseudo-Apology
- Niners Fan Eats It After Getting Juked By Seahawks Mascot
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
Russian Pole Vaulter Condemns Homosexuals And Their Supporters, Says Russians Are ‘Normal’ People
When it comes to Russia’s anti-gay “propaganda” law, we’ve heard from Russian officials. We’ve heard from the International Olympic Committee. We’ve heard from NBC. We’ve heard from American and even Swedish athletes. How about Russian athletes? What do they think about the upcoming standoff between homosexual Olympians and Vladimir Putin?
Cue pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva, who captured her third world title on Tuesday and was asked for her thoughts on the matter. From ABC:
“If we allow to promote and do all this stuff on the street, we are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves like normal, standard people,” Isinbayeva, a two-time Olympic champion, said in English. “We just live with boys with woman, woman with boys.
“Everything must be fine. It comes from history. We never had any problems, these problems in Russia, and we don’t want to have any in the future.”
Oh jeez. Now, Isinbayeva doesn’t represent every Russian athlete, or even every Russian, but she’s a world-class pole vaulter and is very popular, so she’s clearly not alone. It looks like the ideological divide on this issue is enormous. Calling straight people “normal, standard”? This is a case of willful ignorance more than anything. There are 143 million different people in your country, Yelena — there is no such thing as “standard.”
Side note: The IAAF, the sport’s governing body, said that “free expression as a basic human right, which means we must respect the opinions of both Green Tregaro and Isinbayeva.”
No, IAAF. Isinbayeva’s “opinion” on this matter is that homosexuals are not normal people. That’s called intolerance. And there’s no reason to be tolerant of intolerance. Didn’t we go over this already?
Photo via Getty
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts