- The NFL Will Be A Lot Less Pink This October, Says Sporting Goods Insider
- It's Up To Adrian Peterson's Viking Teammates To Save His Minnesota Career
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 3 WR Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Fight Church Bout Ends In Double Knockout With Simultaneous Shots To The Nuts
- Manning, Elway Dispute Suggestion That Wes Welker's Suspension Was A Shocker
Meet Steve Darcis, The Unranked Unknown Who Ousted Rafael Nadal In The First Round At Wimbledon
Before today, Rafael Nadal was undefeated in the first round of a major tournament. Sure, he was stunned in the second round of Wimbledon last year by some dude named Lukas Rosol, but everyone has their professional hiccups. Nadal, fresh off yet another French Open title, was predicted to cruise past whichever unranked opponent was unlucky enough to draw him in the first round.
Well, that unlucky guy turned out to be Steve Darcis of Belgium. Darcis played pretty well, though — he beat Nadal in straight sets, 7-6, 7-6, 6-4. Despite the tiebreaks, it wasn’t even close: Darcis dominated from start to finish, including an ace to cap off the upset (via @michaelhayes):
Who is Steve Darcis? We don’t really know. So we put together what we could find about him to share with you.
He’s currently ranked 135th in the world in singles tennis.
His career high ranking was 44th, back in 2008. He has an overall losing record in singles at 72-80.
He’s two years older than the much better-known Nadal.
At 29, he’s made only 1/32nd of the career money Nadal (27) has via prize money.
Before today’s match, he had less than 3,000 followers on Twitter.
That number is already climbing, however. His Twitter avatar appears to be him with an older woman, perhaps his mother (?).
His best finish ever in a major tournament? Third round at the French Open.
But he prefers grass and hard courts to clay. YEAH, CLEARLY.
He just became a father.
So he’s having a good year, overall.
He probably likes waffles.
Because of the whole Belgian thing. Seriously, there’s not a lot out there on this guy.
Darcis will face Lukasz Kubot in the second round, while Rafael Nadal will… not play in Wimbledon anymore this year. Looks like that much-hyped quarter round matchup between Nadal and Roger Federer will have to wait another year. Thanks for ruining our storylines, Steve.
- WWE Divas Rosa Mendes and Eva Marie's Sexy Videos!
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Top 10 Most Gruesome MMA Leg Injuries
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead