- Fantasy Football Offensive Primer For The 2014 NFL Season
- Holy Crap Ernie Johnson Does A Spot-On Shaq Impression
- Brian Hoyer Is The Starter In Cleveland, But Not For Long
- The NFL's VP Of Officiating Explains The Crazy Spike In Penalties
- Brett Favre Talks Returning To Green Bay, No Regrets About NFL Career
Serena Williams Doesn’t Care All That Much For Tennis
This bit of news can’t be good for the game of tennis. To be honest, hearing that Serena Williams really has no love for the sport that’s treated her so well over the past 16 years comes as somewhat of a surprise. I realize that you don’t necessarily have to love what you do, but when your profession has treated you so well, to the tune of about $35 million in earnings, the least you can do is show it a little love. Right?
“I don’t love tennis today but I’m here,” Williams said after a first-round victory in the Brisbane International… “I can’t live without it — there’s a difference between not loving something and not being able to live without it.”
Williams admitted, on Monday, that she hasn’t really loved the sport in a long time. She also went on to say that she doesn’t really care all that much for sports in general or even working out.
Here’s video from the press conference. The quote in question comes at the 43-second mark:
To date, Williams has won 39 singles titles and 13 Grand Slam titles over her career. Imagine who many she could have won if she actually loved playing the game.
Then again, as my colleague Glenn Davis pointed out, tennis great Andre Agassi admitted his hatred for the sport in his 2009 autobiography . He wrote, “I play tennis for a living even though I hate tennis, hate it with a dark and secret passion and always have.” Maybe we’re missing something here?
- Filed Under:
- serena williams
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?