- The Most Powerful Photo From The Sochi Winter Games
- You Know It's Spring Training When Curtis Granderson Is Rubbing Your Butt
- Baron Davis's Comeback: Part 3
- Off The Grid: Rule Changes, Video Game Memories And Attempted Improv
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
The Australian Open: So Hot Right Now
The Australian Open is off to a blazing start, as many of the competitors feverishly battle it out to become the hottest tennis player on the circuit… alright, that’s enough.
It’s really hot in Australia right now. It hasn’t been this hot in 100 years. The temperature rose to 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) at one point. Players and ball girls fainted. Plastic water bottles melted And still the tennis went on, as Open officials have yet to invoke the “Extreme Heat Policy.” That is apparently reserved for when the sun spins out of orbit and crashes into center court.
There are lots of fantastic photos out there of tennis players and fans alike suffering in the heat, but this one of Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA!) “cooling off” during her match against Maria Sharapova is the most visually descriptive, so to speak:
Mattek-Sands lost the first round match, 6-3, 6-4.
Photo via Getty
- What Should Vikings Do in Free Agency?
- AJ McCarron Impressing With Arm, Despite Lack Of Speed
- NFL Combine Live: De'Anthony Thomas Runs 4.34-Second 40-Yard Dash
- Ian Kinsler, Brian McCann Offseason Moves Could Have World Series Implications