- SPORTSGRID ORIGINAL: The Future Of The Knicks (As Told By An 8-Year-Old)
- Important News: Jose Canseco To Appear In Movie 'Piranha Sharks'
- The NCAA's Talking Bench Sounds Like A Prison Inmate On The Prowl
- Tim Donaghy Says The NBA Is Rigged, Probably To Get You To Buy His Picks
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Video: Novak Djokovic Wins First Wimbledon, Eats Grass
Novak Djokovic is having quite the year. He won the Australian Open, beat Rafael Nadal on clay multiple times leading up to the French Open…but then lost in the semifinals at Roland Garros to a brilliant Roger Federer. And suddenly, despite having lost just that match in 2011, he was relegated to the back burner.
Today, Djokovic beat Nadal again – this time in four sets on grass, 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3, to win his first Wimbledon title. This wasn’t a shocking result – Djokovic is more than good enough to win any major – but to us, it was still a surprise. We still expect a full-strength Nadal to win every match he plays, and today, Djokovic was too good. When Nadal stormed back and romped to his third-set win, the match was very much up in the air, but Djokovic kept it together and finished Nadal off – one of the toughest tasks in sports.
And if that all wasn’t enough, Djokovic punctuated his win by taking a bit of the Centre Court grass…and eating it. A classic quirky Djokovic moment – winning his self-described favorite tournament, and absolutely being the best tennis player on the planet at the moment – hasn’t changed him a bit. [Les Miles reference.] Video of match point below, grass-eating 45 seconds in, via NBC.
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: The Real Story