- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- Fantasy Hoops: Why Not Make The Bucks Your Main Squeeze This Week?
- ESPN To Combine All Non-Bullshit Entities Into New Unit Called 'Exit 31'
- Here's A Photo Of Tony Romo Rooting For Duke
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Beer Brands Are (Understandably) Losing Business Due To The NHL Lockout
The NHL is pretty much the sad sack of the four major North American professional sports leagues and this ditty won’t make you think otherwise. We all know from the second lockout in seven years, but how widespread is it really? Players, coaches, teams, fans — they’re all losing out. But the puck doesn’t stop there (get it?). It stops at beer.
Hockey fans like to drink, and because there are no hockey fans to be found, there is no drinking to be had. That’s been particularly disconcerting for Molson Coors, who has lost a bit of business in this NHL season that wasn’t (Canadian Press via Puck Daddy):
“Whether it’s people not actually physically going to the venues and consuming there, consuming in venues around the outlet before that, or indeed having NHL sort of parties at home, all of those occasions have disappeared off the map and you just can’t replicate them,” CEO Peter Swinburn said in an interview Wednesday.
The impact is more pronounced in Canada than in the United States and has particularly hurt sales of Coors Light and Molson Canadian.
If fringe effects from the NHL lockout are this dire, can you imagine the hell that would’ve broken loose if the NFL had to cancel games last season? Bud Light and Doritos execs are probably looking at this situation and feeling like they dodged a bullet the size of the Canadian Rockies. And that’s one giant-ass bullet.
This is all only a little confusing, only because I’d imagine NHL fans are getting even drunker now that they don’t have their precious hockey to pass the time. It doesn’t all quite add up, but I guess there must be something else to do in Canada besides watching hockey, right? Guys?
[Puck Daddy, Getty Images]
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?