- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Bizarre Scene At European Youth Boxing Match, Ref Gets KO'd
- Your Comprehensive Guide To Giants-Royals World Series Intangibles
- Bryce Brown Or Anthony Dixon -- Which Bills RB Should You Grab?
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Joey Chestnut Is Going For 72 Hot Dogs At The 2014 Nathan’s Fourth Of July Contest
Say what you will about competitive eating — it’s a sport; it’s not a sport; it’s disgusting; it’s awesome; it’s something that can only take place in America, where gluttony is celebrated; shut up dude, whatever — but don’t say it’s not popular. The Nathan’s Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating contest has become a national pastime, and tens of thousands turn up at the original location in Brooklyn every year to watch it.
But if you don’t live in New York (and/or you don’t want to brave what could be some crappy weather), just catch it on TV, or online.
Because today is packed with sporting events, the contest is a little difficult to catch live. The women’s contest — which will probably have more drama, seeing as how Joey Chestnut now dominates the men’s side without Takeru Kobayashi competing — beings at 11:30 a.m. ET ESPN News will start broadcasting at 12 p.m. ET, with a tape delay on ESPN2 at 2 p.m. ET. You can watch everything online on WatchESPN, as always.
Here’s the full schedule (via Nathan’s website):
10:00 a.m. ET
Entertainment begins on the main stage
11:00 a.m. ET
George Shea opens the 98th annual Hot Dog Eating Contest
11:15 a.m. ET
Introduction of women contestants
11:30 a.m. ET
Women’s contest begins
12:00 a.m. ET
ESPN broadcast begins
12:30 a.m. ET
Introduction of male contestants
12:40 a.m. ET
Men’s contest begins
12:55 a.m. ET
Chestnut says he’s going for 72 hot dogs this year. That would be 7.2 hot dogs per minute. That would be more than a hot hot dog every 10 seconds, for 10 minutes straight. That’s… okay, well, we’re glad we’re not doing it. How will he fair? How will Kobayashi, across the river in Manhattan, competing in a bunless competition, fair? We’ll have the results, but watch for yourself. And have a hot dog, too. It’s America day.
Photo via Getty
- Filed Under:
- Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts