- 2014 World Series MVP Madison Bumgarner -- By the Numbers
- Gilbert Arenas Has Finally Sold His Shark Mansion, After Removing Sharks
- Mike Tyson Beats Mike Tyson In Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
- Survivor Pool Picks For Every Week 9 NFL Game
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
Insane Person Breaks World Record For Surfing The World’s Tallest Wave
If you want to break the world record for biggest wave surfed, there’s only one place to go, and it’s in Portugal. Praia do Norte, Nazaré, to be exact. It also helps to go during a violent storm that has already killed 11 people. And almost killed Brazillian surfer Maya Gabeira, who tried to do what fellow countryman Carlos Burle amazingly pulled off. Here’ what he had to say about it.
“It was luck. We never know when we will be catching the wave. I still hadn’t surfed any wave and everyone had already had their rides. Maya almost died. For me, it was a big adrenaline moment to get back there after what happened.”
Both Gabeira and Burle’s rides were part of the Billabong XXL Classic Big Wave Awards. Here’s the wave that almost drowned Gabeira…
Carlos Burle’s wave, although not officially the biggest wave every successfully ridden, is estimated to be near 100ft, which is around the size of current record holder, Garrett McNamarra, who towed-in to a 78ft monster also at Praia do Norte. After this video surfaced of a girl casually paddling out to some waves among Great White Sharks surfaced last week, we can definitively say SportsGrid will not be a threat to Burle’s new record anytime soon.
Here’s video of the previous record.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts