- The Decemberists: Best Photos From Sunday's NFL Snow Games
- The 'Eli Manning Dislikes' Twitter Meme Is A Glorious Thing
- The Yankees Genius Strategy For Success: Get As Old As Possible
- Video Evidence Charles Barkley Is The Best American In America
- Column: Because Of Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo For Golden Ball
Canadian Skier Nik Zoricic Dies In Crash At World Cup Skicross Event
Tragedy struck the sport of skiing, the realm of athletics and the world at large when Canadian racer Nik Zoricic died during a World Cup event in Switzerland today. Nik was 29.
After crashing directly into the course’s safety nets near the finish line, Zoricic died of “severe neurotrauma.”
The crash, which we warn may disturb some viewers, can be seen in the clip below:
The video is particularly eerie when spectators are shown continuing to cheer and other skiers give each other props for a successful run, unaware that a man’s life has just ended. Certainly, the indifference of the universe to the death of one person is on perfect display in this moment.
Of course, no one knew that Zoricic’s crash was fatal until it was too late. Condolences go out to the family of the second 29-year-old Canadian skier to die this year, after Sarah Burke was killed in Utah in January.
[via Bob's Blitz]
- Cotto Crushes Rodriguez In Three Rounds
- Reconstructing Manny Pacquiao | RingTV
- Trent Richardson's Fantasy Football Production
- Moment Of Truth Fight in the Philippines