MNF: Chiefs-Ravens Betting Preview, Picks, and Trends
NFL MVP Lamar Jackson takes on 2018 and Super Bowl 54 MVP Patrick Mahomes in a matchup worthy of the vintage Monday Night Football marquee. Let’s dive right in with all our odds coming to you from our good friends at FanDuel.
What better place to start than with two of the most exciting, dynamic young quarterbacks in the league. Mahomes has led the Chiefs to a 2-0 start despite a surprising struggle in Week 2 against the Chargers. KC had to rally back against its AFC West rivals with 11 points in the fourth quarter followed by a 58-yeard field goal to escape with the 23-20 win. Mahomes set a record in the comeback by winning his sixth-straight game, including playoffs, after trailing by double digits.
Mahomes’ Chiefs are 2-0 against Jackson’s Ravens. Kansas City came away with an OT field goal win as underdogs in 2018 and just covered the 4.5 point spread with a 33-28 win ironically in Week 3 last season. This will be the first meeting Jackson gets a crack at Mahomes in Baltimore.
Jackson comes into this clash behind a revamped offensive line this season, sporting a 2-0 record — arguably more impressive than his quarterback counterpart’s early undefeated season. The Ravens rolled over Cleveland and Houston with an average margin of victory of 24.5 points.
While KC dominated the same Texans in Week 1, they were lucky to get by a Chargers team who just lost at home to possibly the worst team in the league, a Christian McCaffrey-less Panthers team.
The Chiefs’ offensive machine has sputtered out of the gates, getting shutout in the first quarter this season while putting up just six points in the first half against the Chargers in Week 2. On the other hand, Baltimore has hit the ground running, putting up 44 first-half points this year.
The Ravens come into the Monday Nighter on an impressive 14-game regular-season win streak. During that stretch, Baltimore has covered in 11 of 12 games, with the lone blemish coming in unlucky Week 13 with a three-point win on a -5.5 spread against eventual Super Bowl runner ups to KC the 49ers
When a pair of potent offensive forces meet up, it’s easy to overlook the defense, but Baltimore may take issue with that. The Ravens are allowing a league-low 11 points per game, and their 305 yards per game allowed is good enough for fourth-best in the NFL. Baltimore also boasts an NFL-best five takeaways after two games.
Former Chief Marcus Peters and fellow starting cornerback Marlon Humphrey could replicate some of the gap control the Chargers exhibited to slow Mahomes down. The pair already has an interception a piece to go along with a forced fumble this season and scored five defensive touchdowns in 2019. Peters has six pick-sixes and seven defensive touchdowns in his first six seasons.
Sammy Watkins, one of Mahomes’ premier weapons, may miss this game while in the concussion protocol, further hindering the Chiefs pivot’s game plan.
- Ravens cover -3.5 (-105)
- Ravens cover alternate spread -2.5 (-150)
- Winning margin: Ravens 1-6 (+330)
- First-quarter win: Ravens (-156),
- Ravens cover first-quarter spread -0.5 (-102)
- Patrick Mahomes throws an interception (-113)
- Patrick Mahomes under 24.5 pass completions (-113)
- Patrick Mahomes under 293.5 passing yards (-110)
- Any touchdown scorer: Ravens defense (+490)
- First touchdown scorer: Lamar Jackson (+800)
- First-half touchdown scorer: Mark Andrews (+270)
Quick Hit Trends
- Chiefs are 9-1-1 against the spread in their past 11 games.
- Chiefs are 7-1-1 against the spread following a win.
- Ravens are 6-1 against the spread in their last seven games.
- Ravens are 10-2 against the spread following a win.
- Under is 4-0 in the past four Chiefs road games.
- Under is 5-1 in Ravens past six games as a home favorite.