NBA Team Nicknames Quiz – Answer Key!
Ready for the answers to our NBA Team Nicknames Origins Quiz?
If you clicked over to this page just to get the answers, that means you’re just a dirty little cheater and we’re going to tell all your friends!
For the non-cheaters, below are the answers and explanations for the NBA Team Nicknames Origins quiz!
1. HOUSTON ROCKETS: REAL – That’s right, the Rockets were originally named the Rockets all the way over in San Diego! Although, Tom Hanks just wouldn’t have sounded right if he said, “San Diego, we have a problem.”
2. ORLANDO MAGIC: FAKE -- Disney was never part owner of the Magic. The team was named after a newspaper contest narrowed the search to four team possible team names: Heat, Juice, Magic and Tropics. Williams’ 7-year-old daughter picked “Magic.”
3. TORONTO RAPTORS: FAKE -- A nationwide naming contest was held, and Raptors, on the heels of the 1993 hit movie “Jurassic Park,” beat out Towers, Terriers and Tarantulas, among other finalists.
4. WASHINGTON BULLETS/WIZARDS: REAL -- Of course, years later, the team would move to D.C., where the murder rate was skyrocketing, and the marketing team smartened up and changed the name from Bullets to Wizards in 1998. Poof!
5. DETROIT PISTONS: REAL – They should’ve change the team name to Bad Boys back in the late ‘80s… or maybe the Laimbears!
6. PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS: FAKE -- The city of Portland also happens to be the home of Lewis & Clark College, who were famous “trail blazers.” The team ran a contest to name the team, but despite “Pioneers” being the contest’s winning choice, they couldn’t use it because that was the team nickname for the sports teams at Lewis & Clark College.
7. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS: REAL – I bet there are more hair salons in the city of Los Angeles than in any other city – so the name should be Clippers just cuz’ of that!
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Gaming Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.