Panda To Go Extinct In SF? ’90 Percent Chance’ Pablo Sandoval Will Sign With Red Sox
LAP -- Life After Panda -- is somewhat incomprehensible for San Francisco Giants fans. For one thing, what are these guys gonna do with those enormous heads? Pablo Sandoval has been there for all three Giants' World Series runs, and although his weight and his batting average have fluctuated greatly, his popularity has not.
He is arguably the most popular Giant, certainly the most gregarious, and this will be very hard to replace.
But it looks like the Giants will have to do just that. According to the Boston Globe, both Sandoval and the A's Jon Lester have been offered "multiyear deals" by the Boston Red Sox. And CBS Bay Area rates Sandoval's likelihood of accepting that offer at "90 percent."
KPIX-5 San Francisco sports director Dennis O'Donnell reports:
After speaking with two sources, here’s what I’ve been able to put together:
The Giants offered Pablo the same contract given to Hunter Pence, five years at $90 million. Sandoval wanted that deal last Spring when Giants were justifiably suspicious about Pablo’s physical condition. But when that offer came after the World Series, Sandoval countered by asking for a seven year deal.
Sandoval was in Boston yesterday where I am told there is a 90 percent chance that he will sign with the Red Sox. The other 10 percent goes to the Toronto Blue Jays.
By asking for seven years, Pablo was essentially saying to the Giants "So Long And Thanks For All The Rings." And the only reason that the Blue Jays have a 10 percent chance is because of a more forgiving tax rate.
The Giants want to keep Sandoval, but will not overpay to do so. According to most sources, that puts SF out of the running, and in search of a new third baseman.
If he does go to Boston, all I can say is, lock the fridge.
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Gaming Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.