ADAM ANSELL’S TOP 25 FOR KANSAS
1. Jimmie Johnson: Johnson finally got back in the win column with a dominating performance at Dover, leading 243 of 400 laps. In 14 starts at Kansas Speedway, Johnson has two wins (2008, 2011), six Top 5s, 12 Top 10s and three poles with an Average Finish of 7.6. In the April event at Kansas, he posted a third-place finish with nine laps led. He’s led at least two laps in each of his last four starts. Since the inception of Loop Data in 2005, Johnson leads all competitors in Driver Rating (119.1), Average Running Position (7.4), Laps Led (536), Laps in the Top 15 (2,556) Fastest Laps Run (439), Average Green Flag Speed (165.518 mph) and Quality Passes (496). He’s eight points behind the Chase leader and remains the top option across the board in all Fantasy formats.
2. Matt Kenseth: After winning the first two Chase races, Kenseth posted a seventh-place finish at Dover with 36 laps led. In 14 starts at Kansas, Kenseth has two wins (2012-13), six Top 5s, nine Top 10s and two poles with an Average Finish of 12.8. He dominated the Spring race, leading 163 laps en route to the Checkered Flag. He’s led at least one lap in eight of his last nine starts. Kenseth ranks third in DR (110.0) and in ARP (9.5). Kansas has been one of Kenseth’s better tracks, as he’s posted a Top 5 in each of his last four starts and finished seventh-or-better in his last six. He should be in all provisional Tiered/Grouping format lineups.
3. Kyle Busch: Busch led 30 laps and finished fifth last weekend at Dover. In 12 starts at KS, Busch has two Top 10s with an Average Finish of 22.4. He started fifth but ran into some trouble and finished a season-worst 38th in the April race. He’s led at least eight laps in two of his last five starts. He’s qualified fourth-or-better in three of his last five starts. Busch ranks 18th in DR (79.0) and 19th in ARP (18.4). Kansas is not one of his best tracks, but that’s irrelevant at this point. Busch is running very hot but more importantly, very patient. He’s a low risk play in all formats.
4. Kevin Harvick: Harvick finished sixth a week ago at Dover. In 15 KS starts, Harvick has one Top 5 and six Top 10s with an Average Finish of 12.8. He posted 12th-place finish in the April event. He led 16 laps in the October 2010 race. Harvick ranks ninth in DR (92.0) and in ARP (12.7). He leads all drivers in Green Flag Passes (859). He’s been very solid all season long and remains a quality value option in Tiered/Grouping formats.
5. Greg Biffle: Biffle finished ninth at Dover last weekend, posting 33 Quality Passes. In 14 Kansas starts, Biffle has two wins (2010), seven Top 5s, nine Top 10s and one pole with an Average Finish of 10.1. He finished 19th in the Spring race. He’s led at least two laps in three of his last eight starts. Biffle ranks second in DR (110.1), ARP (8.2), Laps in the Top 15 (2,501) and Quality Passes (465). He’s been fairly solid at Kansas and while he’s not a championship contender, Fantasy owners can safely plug the No. 16 into all provisional Tiered/Grouping format lineups.
6. Kasey Kahne: Kane finished 14th with zero laps led a week ago at Dover. In 12 starts at KS, Kahne has three Top 5s, six Top 10s and three poles with an Average Finish of 13.9. He finished second with no laps led back in the April event. He led one lap in the October 2012 race. Kahne ranks 10th in DR (91.9) and 11th in ARP (13.9). He’s failed to log a Top 10 in each of his last five Cup starts, but that’s the story of Kahne’s season. He’s been streaky, with occasional flashes of brilliance surrounded by uncertainty. He’s a gamble every week, with this weekend’s roll of the dice likely to come up in favor of Fantasy owners.
7. Carl Edwards: Any hope Edwards had of competing for the title were crushed with a 35th-place finish at Dover. In 12 KS starts, Edwards has four Top 5s and eight Top 10s with an Average Finish of 11.3. He started second and led 19 laps but finished in 17th in the April event. He’s led at least one lap in six of his last eight starts. Edwards ranks seventh in DR (96.1) and in ARP (12.5). He’s been very consistent over his career at Kansas and makes for a safe start in Tiered/Grouping formats.
8. Clint Bowyer: Bowyer finished 10th at Dover, chipping in a single lap led. In 10 starts at Kansas, Bowyer has two Top 5s and five Top 10s with an Average Finish of 13.1. He started 10th and finished fifth in the April race. He led five laps in the October 2012 event. Bowyer ranks 12th in DR (91.0) and 15th in ARP (15.2). He’s been very consistent all year, and that hasn’t changed. But it’s clear his upside is limited, making him a middle-of-the-road option in all formats.
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Junior posted his best finish of 2013 since the opener at (second at Daytona) at Dover, leading a season-high 80 laps. In 14 appearances at KS, Earnhardt Jr. has one Top 5, six Top 10s and one pole with an Average Finish of 16.4. He led a single lap in the April race, finishing 16th. Earnhardt Jr. ranks 17th in DR (86.8) and in ARP (16.1). It’s nice to see the No. 88 hasn’t peaked and is still capable big finishes this late in the season. He remains a safe option with some upside across all formats.
10. Jeff Gordon: Gordon finished fourth with three laps led last weekend at Dover. In 15 KS starts, Gordon has two wins (2001-02), eight Top 5s and 10 Top 10s with an Average Finish of 11.1. He started at the very back of the field (43rd) in the April event and fought his way back for a 12th-place finish. He’s led at least two laps in two of his last four starts. Gordon ranks fifth in DR (99.0) and fourth in ARP (9.7). He’s been very consistent the past month and a half, but hasn’t been able to put together an entire race this far. Fantasy owners looking for a safe start with upside should roll with the No. 24.
11. Kurt Busch: Three Top 10s and one pole with an Average Finish of 17.9 in 15 starts at Kansas. 87.8 DR.
12. Ryan Newman: One win (2003), three Top 5s and four Top 10s with an Average Finish of 18.1 in 15 KS starts. 68.7 DR.
13. Martin Truex Jr.: Three Top 5s with an Average Finish of 19.2 in 10 starts at KS. 93
14. Denny Hamlin: One win (2012) and three Top 5s with an Average Finish of 14.0 in 10 starts at KS. 89.8 DR.
15. Joey Logano: Average Finish of 26.1 in eight starts at KS. 60.6 DR.
16. Brian Vickers: 69.2 DR.
17. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.: 101.7.
18. Paul Menard: 76.8.
19. Aric Almirola: 89.4.
20. Juan Pablo Montoya: 72.5.
21. Jamie McMurray
22. Marcos Ambrose
23. Mark Martin
24. Jeff Burton
25. David Ragan
1. A.J. Allmendinger
2. Justin Allgaier
3. Cole Whitt
4. Casey Mears
5. David Reutimann
2013 NASCAR.com Fantasy Live Lineup for Kansas (Salary Cap)
Jimmie Johnson $28.25
Matt Kenseth $27.75
Kurt Busch $19.75
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. $13.25
A.J. Allmendinger $10.75