21 Reasons People Don’t Like Cam Newton
If you find yourself wondering why Cam Newton hasn't become as popular as his peers -- meaning Super Bowl quarterbacks who've won both a National Championship and a Heisman Trophy -- you're not alone. Much of the sports world has spent the last month or so asking that question, and the answers have been as varied as Cam's skill set. Some explain it as a function of playing in a small market on a team that doesn't have much history, others chalk it up to his confident-bordering-on-cocky demeanor, while others still think it comes down to his relative lack of success up until this season. Who knows? Maybe it's all bullshit and people do like him, and his 22nd-ranked jersey sales are the result of the Carolina Panthers' fruity cocktail color-scheme. Maybe it's whatever Stephen A. Smith is ranting about. Whatever it is, people are curious why the frontrunner for 2015's Most Valuable Player Award isn't as popular as someone with his unprecedented combination of speed and skill should be.
Below are 21 reasons that help explain why people just can't seem to warm up to Cam Newton...
21) Has literally never looked bad in a single photograph, ever.
The many smiles of Cam Newton: In sunglasses, after a car crash, in a training camp fight pic.twitter.com/aJKsU3IUsT
— Nick Ciampa (@theciamp) August 11, 2015
20) Doesn't even have the decency to duck into a phonebooth before changing into his Superman costume.
19) Has made over $70 million in the last five years, yet decides to drive a 1998 Dodge Ram -- the car your uncle uses to plow his driveway.
— RossGTR (@RossGTR) December 12, 2014
18) Million-watt smile hurts sensitive retinas for people who see color.
— Kyle Corcoran. (@xo_corcoran) January 25, 2016
17) Americans prefer quarterbacks to celebrate with Dad dances from the last decade.
16) He's a self-avowed pescatarian, which is basically a rich vegetarian who can afford eating seafood five times a day.
15) Acts like a total dick whenever anyone tries to cheer him up.
14) Is too young to get our love.
13) Unapologetic about ripping Tom Brady's style by wearing women's slippers in public.
Cam Newton wearing Uggz pic.twitter.com/B2RoAC05ol
— The Daily Loud (@DailyLoud) December 8, 2013
12) Discriminatory game ball-gifting practices alienate everyone over the age of seven.
11) Uses cheat codes to access "Raccoon Tail" enhancement without first procuring a Super Leaf power-up, giving him unfair advantage defeating Piranha Plants.
— Kevin (@Krazy4golf) December 14, 2015
10) People actually like him a lot, but are withholding their feelings until Cecil Newton lowers his asking price for their affection.
"I always say..if we gave Cam Newton 200 thousand dollars to come to Auburn, man that was a good investment. - Charles Barkley @dpshow
— Paul Pabst (@PaulPabst) January 27, 2016
9) Is primarily responsible for the trend that led to this moment...
— Feb The Month ✍ (@Iam__MW3) January 24, 2016
8) Country not ready to embrace first openly fly NFL superstar.
Cam Newton looks like a female vice principal with those shoes on. pic.twitter.com/IpXQxFyMMa
— Bill Mooneyhan, (@billmooneyhan) September 22, 2014
7) Practices ritualistic sacrifice.
— Jake O'Donnell (@_JakeODonnell) January 28, 2016
6) Can dribble a football on the first try, which is infuriating because we've been trying to figure out how to pull that off since birth.
5) Dynamic skill set does not include ability to morph into a goofy white quarterback who you secretly know you're way cooler than.
4) Ego is so big he can't even entertain the concept that 6-year-old kids have dreams, too.
3) Is literally better at everything than all of us, combined.
2) Americans generally illiterate at reading non-obese body language, misinterpret Cam's emotions.
Cam Newton I swear any time I see Cam, he always has a towel over his head & a super sad look. Which is funny to me. pic.twitter.com/I1lgavvm9S
— John Buss (@Sports_Buss) September 18, 2013
1) Majority of the United States feels threatened by black Panthers.
If you say you hate Cam Newton at this point, you don't have any good reason. You may just be mad at the success pic.twitter.com/6aYzSroMaC
— CAM-V-P (@brennan_collins) November 23, 2015
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Gaming Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.