What Happened To Brandon Marshall And His Wife Inside (And Outside) An NYC Night Club?

  • Dan Fogarty

Yesterday, highly talented and highly mercurial wide receiver Brandon Marshall was traded from the Dolphins to the Bears, and in exchange for two third-round draft picks Chicago was getting its first viable receiving threat of the Jay Cutler era. It was also increasing its likelihood of off-the-field headaches tenfold, as a New York Post report filed at 1:03 AM this morning confirmed.

Here’s what we know: Early Sunday morning, there was a fight at Marquee, a night club in New York’s Chelsea neighborhood that’s known for its a) exclusivity and b) extremely long bathroom lines. Marshall and his wife were there, and at some point, Marshall got into an argument with some people celebrating a birthday. After that, there are two wildly different accounts.

Here’s what a 24-year-old woman who was inside the club is alleging. At around 4 a.m., Christin Myles (who the Post identified as the “birthday girl”) left one of the upper floors of the club to meet some of her friends who were outside. When she tried to get back in, she was told by a bouncer that she had to wait because there was a fight between two football players — Brandon Marshall and an unidentified player. Marshall and the unidentified player were in the process of being thrown out.

She later met up with the friends, who by then had found time to not only engage Marshall in an argument, but also the athlete who he was fighting with. So now there’s a three-way battle royale occurring, and, according to the alleged victim, Marshall “cold-cocked” her in the left eye. It wasn’t clear if Marshall was trying to punch her, or one of her friends.

Here’s what Marshall’s lawyer is saying.

“On March 12,2012 Brandon Marshall was the key note speaker at a charitable event in New York. After the event was over he, his wife and close friends attended a function at a local club. While at the function a fight broke out NOT involving Mr. Marshall or his friends. While attempting to leave to avoid the melee Mrs. Marshall was struck in the face by a thrown bottle. She suffered serious injury. While attempting to leave and take his wife to the hospital, the mayhem continued outside. Finally Mr. Marshall was able to take his wife to the hospital where she was treated for serious injuries. Mr. Marshall is hoping to assist authorities in regards to this matter.”

Here’s what the Bears are saying. “Both the Bears and Dolphins were aware of what occurred over the weekend,” Bears GM Phil Emery said in a statement released by the team. “We decided to move forward with the trade. We have high expectations for Brandon as a Bear.”

Here’s what will happen next. Myles, the alleged victim of the punch, filed a police report Monday against Marshall, sources told the Post. We’re waiting to see if charges are brought against Marshall, who has a history of this kind of thing — he’s had a well-publicized battle with Borderline Personality Disorder, and has been involved in six off-the-field legal incidents. He was either a) in a bad place at a bad time, and nothing will come of this, or b) he’ll be investigated, and a suspension would then be likely.

[New York Post]