Broncos Beat Bengals On MNF: Here’s The Updated AFC Playoff Picture
One thing is for sure, the battle for playoff births and seeding in the AFC has been anything but boring in Week 16.
The result of Monday Night Football game between the Denver Broncos and Cincinnati Bengals held countless postseason implications, meaning that every fan of a playoff contender was watching with baited breath. So of course, the game went to overtime tied at 17. That's what you get from a Brock Osweiler vs. AJ McCarron offensive showdown! Shocker.
The final score was 20-17 after Bengals quarterback McCarron fumbled and lost the ball in overtime to secure the victory for the Broncos. With the win the Broncos have now finally secured a postseason berth, but there is still a lot at stake for every AFC playoff team in Week 17.
Here's the Playoff Picture as it sits right now:
New England Patriots (12-3)
Denver Broncos (11-4)
Cincinnati Bengals (11-4)
Houston Texans (8-7)
Kansas City Chiefs (10-5)
New York Jets (10-5)
Pittsburgh Steelers (9-6)
Indianapolis Colts (7-8)
Key Week 17 Playoff Picture Scenarios
- If the Broncos win and the Patriots lose, the Broncos overtake the 1st seed and the Patriots drop to the 2nd seed.
- If the Bengals win and the Broncos lose, the Bengals get the 1st seed (if the Patriots lose) or the 2nd seed (if the Patriots win.)
- If the Chiefs win and the Broncos and Jets both lose, the Chiefs win the AFC West and the 3rd seed and the Broncos drop to the 5th seed.
- If the Chiefs and Jets both win and the Broncos lose, the Jets bump up to the 5th seed with the better conference record as the tiebreaker and the Broncos drop to the 6th seed.
- If the Steelers win and the Jets and the Chiefs both lose, the Jets are eliminated and the Steelers get the 6th seed.
- If the Chiefs and Steelers both win and the Jets lose, the Jets are eliminated and the Steelers get the 6th seed.
- There is also a .03% chance that the Colts could end up in the playoffs by way of winning the AFC South. Let's assume that won't happen.
So there you have it. Obviously there are a few other scenarios that could play out that would affect seeding, including a situation in which the Chiefs get the 2nd seed. But this will give you a pretty good idea of what the final playoff picture will look like by the end of Sunday night.
I don't know about you, but after the way this season has gone I'm pretty sure we can and should expect anything in Week 17. Sunday is going to be one kick ass day of football.
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Gaming Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.