Josh McDaniels Is Just The Cheating SOB The 49ers Need Right Now, So Hire Him
It may seem like all the good NFL head coaching prospects have been snapped up by other teams -- Vance Joseph to Denver, and Sean McVay to the Rams in the past two days. The Chargers reportedly are close to a deal with Anthony Lynn, which leaves my lovable, bedraggled 49ers to somehow convince someone to come in and try to move this ship off of the sand bar.
Josh McDaniels is my man, and here's why:
* He has head coaching experience, serving two seasons with the Denver Broncos (2009-10). In addition has spent a total of 12 seasons as an assistant with the New England Patriots.
* Willing to roll the dice on everdrunk Kyle Orton. While with the Broncos, traded Jay Cutler for Orton. Cutler was quoted as saying "I don't trust him (McDaniels)."
* Was fired at Denver after his own spygate controversy. The Broncos were caught filming a 49ers walkthrough before their game in London in 2009. The NFL eventually determined that McDaniels didn't know about it, but he also failed to report it.
* No empathy. Has coached under both Nick Saban (Michigan State) and Bill Belichick.
* He's young. He's a man. He's 40.
* He loves God. Behold the man who traded up in the 2010 draft to pick Tim Tebow.
The last time the 49ers hired a head coach who was borderline mentally ill, he led them to three straight NFC title games and one Super Bowl. But Jim Harbaugh clashed with GM Trent Baalke. The latter is now gone, so it's time to once again hire a complete bastard.
Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelley were too nice/sane to run Jed York's low-achiever circus. Ditto for Kyle Shanahan, the current OC for the Falcons and son of Mike Shanahan. Proof that Kyle is a properly-grounded good guy -- he was offered a scholarship to play for Duke, but chose to redshirt and transfer to the University of Texas.
The 49ers don't need that. They need a coach forged in the image of Belichick and Saban, one who would drive a dune buggy over their own mothers if that would win a game. And don't forget the Tebow connection. McDaniels is in good with the Lord.
Also, hanging out there ready to be plucked is Wade Phillips, the best defensive coordinator prospect. San Francisco has a silver opportunity here, and they had better not blow it. I don't want York to give up and sell the team to Rob Schneider.
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Betting Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.