Los Angeles Mayor Insists City Will Have NFL Team By 2015
The logo above is by MCrosby of Dribbble.com, created about two years ago and residing on the shelf, ready to go, ever since. Commenters went crazy over it at the time, and it does look rather striking. Of course with this we're assuming:
* The Jaguars will leave Jacksonville.
* Los Angeles is ready for a new NFL franchise.
* No one will freak out and cause another Native American-mascot controversy/protest movement.
* Anyone knows who the Aztecs were, and their association with jaguars.
As for the second point, Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti said on Monday that the likelihood of a franchise moving to his city by 2015 was "highly likely."
Of course that's what mayors do. Garcetti must find it very awkward to attend big mayor meetings and have to hear things like: "Hey Eric, how's your NFL team doing? Oh ... yeah, right. Sorry."
The second-most populous city in the U.S., and its biggest football attraction is USC? They can barely get through a season without cheating.
Garcetti, to the San Francisco Examiner:
"It's highly likely that an NFL franchise will be in Los Angeles by 2015. But it's not my decision. At the end of the day, the owners decide."
Reasons an NFL team may return to LA after a 20-year absence:
* Disney CEO Michael Eisner is involved. Mickey Mouse has been lobbying the NFL on behalf of Garcetti and the Anschutz Entertainment Group, according to reports, and he says (in a squeaky voice) that a franchise could land as early as next year.
* The LA Clippers recently sold for $2 billion. That raised a lot of eyebrows. I'm surprised an NFL team isn't in LA already.
* There are several candidates for relocation. The Raiders, Chargers and Rams are all in play, and the Jaguars, who already have a spiffy logo.
* The Rams' owner recently bought a stadium-sized piece of land in suburban LA. That's like Count Dracula buying Carfax Abbey and no one suspecting anything nefarious is about to happen in London.
* Renderings have been rendered!
— Cheyne Redenius (@BeLike3Sports) December 2, 2014
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Gaming Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.