11 Reasons Why The ‘Final Five’ Are The Definitive Best Squad In Rio
Tanya Ray Fox 06:12 pm, August 15th, 2016
The Rio Olympics may not be the safest or cleanest place that most of Team USA will ever compete in, but it is the Olympics nevertheless. And so far the Americans have been delivering even more than we expected. The USA currently has 72 total medals (30 more than Great Britain in second) and 27 gold medals (10 more than Great Britain in second.)
So yeah, we're doing okay.
Of course the real breakout stars as of now have been the men's and women's swimming teams and the women's gymnastics team. They have been slotted into NBC's Primetime broadcasts as often as possible and have therefore been the beneficiaries of much of Team USA's glory. But at the end of the day, aren't the women of the gymnastics team just on another level?
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky. I could watch all day as the American swimmers destroy the world every time they swim a relay. I was in tears when Simone Manuel won gold in the 100 m freestyle. I am in awe of Nathan Adrian's speed in the pool despite being a giant.
Still, I'm going to go ahead and make a case for Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian as THE squad of the 2016 Rio Olympics. If you don't already agree, just hear me out. And either way... U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
1. They might as well have invented the term "stick the landing."
2. No, seriously...
3. They are the greatest floor performers in Team USA history.
4. Not only can they flip twelve times and stick the landing, they can also LEAP. And deliver perfect sass.
5. They are equally at home in the air as they are on land.
6. They defy laws of gravity.
7. They manage to look like the most graceful creatures on the planet while also being strong AF.
8. They can do things like this on a 4-inch-wide beam while most of us trip over our own feet all day.
9. I'm sorry, how does she land on her feet when they were that close to her head two milliseconds ago?
10. They look like they're bouncing off a trampoline even when it's just leather on metal.
11. And finally, because I don't even think the X-Men can pull off superhuman shit like this.
Here that is in slow motion, just in case the blinding speed of Simone Biles' twisting is too much for your human eyes:
Be the first to know
Want FREE Fantasy and Betting Advice and Savings Delivered to your Inbox? Sign up for our Newsletter.