Mayweather Says Superfight With McGregor Is ‘Getting Very, Very Close’
GPfeifle 03:02 pm, February 14th, 2017
After months of verbal fighting, we may have two of the biggest stars of their respective fields meeting in the ring- and soon. Rumors are afloat that terms and fees have been agreed upon, but there is a "third party hold up" for the match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.
Mayweather spoke with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Saturday after the Warriors and Thunder game. Smith said Mayweather told him he believes the fight is going to happen, but nothing is guaranteed until the deal is done. The hold up is suspected to be UFC President Dana White. Despite offering both fighters $25 mil each (which McGregor laughed at) she says the odds of the fight are the same as McGregor being "the backup quarterback for [Tom] Brady."
Money has become the issue due to Mayweather's retired status and 49-0 record. He previously stated that his fight against Andre Berto would be his last fight. He entered into retirement and stated that he refuses to get back into the ring for anything less than $100 mil.
The trash talk began in January, during Mayweather's ESPN "First Take" interview. He indicated that the only fight that could reach his requested amount would be with Conor McGregor. Both parties have seemed to be taunting their fans, hinting at a possible boxing match through their social media. In January, McGregor delivered this low-blow to Mayweather, reminding everyone of Josie Harris who accused Mayweather of domestic abuse. Mother to his three children, she also had a relationship with Orlando Magic guard, C.J. Watson.