- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 5 WR Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Colbert On Husain Abdullah's Wrongly Penalized TD Prayer
- 10 More Reasons You Should Try The Diet LeBron James Used To Lose Weight
- Week 5 Survivor Pool: 3 Locks, 2 Values And An Upset Special
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Rory McIlroy’s Dad Won $171,000 On 10-Year-Old Bet That Son Would Win British Open
So Gerry McIlroy, Rory’s dad, got a little cheeky with the family checking account back in 1994. That was when Rory was 15 — and although the kid was good, what father bets a large chunk of cash on a teenager winning the British Open one day?
The elder McIlroy put down 200 pounds (about $342 at today’s exchange rate) at 500-1 with Ladbrokes that his son would win the British Open before his 26th birthday. Today that became a payout of $171,000, as Rory went wire-to-wire to beat Sergio Garcia by two strokes. No doubt it was celebrated at a British pub, or ten.
Meet you all at The World’s End at 2 a.m.
Two of Gerry McIlroy’s friends also put down bets on Rory that day in ’94, and split $136,700 between them.
So just to confirm – 10 yrs ago Gerry McIlroy & three friends put £400 at 500-1 on 15 year-old Rory to win The Open before he turned 26.
— Andrew Cotter (@MrAndrewCotter) July 19, 2014
- Filed Under:
- rory mcilroy
- Mayweather Jr. Vows to be Better Faster Stronger
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'