- Hunter Pence Did Not Know That Kansas City Is In Missouri
- Jimbo Fisher Literally Can't Even With These Jameis Winston Questions
- ESPN The Magazine Puts Out Hit Piece On Kobe Bryant, Says He's 'Destroying' The Lakers From Within
- Peyton Manning Is Still Eight Touchdowns Behind Brett Favre, If You Include Pick-Sixes
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Rory McIlroy’s Dad Won $171,000 On 10-Year-Old Bet That Son Would Win British Open
So Gerry McIlroy, Rory’s dad, got a little cheeky with the family checking account back in 1994. That was when Rory was 15 — and although the kid was good, what father bets a large chunk of cash on a teenager winning the British Open one day?
The elder McIlroy put down 200 pounds (about $342 at today’s exchange rate) at 500-1 with Ladbrokes that his son would win the British Open before his 26th birthday. Today that became a payout of $171,000, as Rory went wire-to-wire to beat Sergio Garcia by two strokes. No doubt it was celebrated at a British pub, or ten.
Meet you all at The World’s End at 2 a.m.
Two of Gerry McIlroy’s friends also put down bets on Rory that day in ’94, and split $136,700 between them.
So just to confirm – 10 yrs ago Gerry McIlroy & three friends put £400 at 500-1 on 15 year-old Rory to win The Open before he turned 26.
— Andrew Cotter (@MrAndrewCotter) July 19, 2014
- Filed Under:
- rory mcilroy
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts