- ESPN Is The Distraction, Not Michael Sam
- You're Drafting Rashad Jennings Way Too Late
- This Is Totally Your Year: An Overly Optimistic Preview Of The 2014-15 NFL Season
- The 13 Best Moments From Eli Manning's Epic Reddit AMA
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Did Jon Lester Have Vaseline In His Glove Last Night? (UPDATE: MLB Has Responded)
During last night’s 8-1 World Series Game 1 victory for the Boston Red Sox over the St. Louis Cardinals, Cardinals’ minor league pitcher Tyler Melling tweeted out that he thought Jon Lester had Vaseline in his glove, and now a conspiracy theory has been birthed.
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
— Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
So, I guess he’s talking about that little discoloration, that looks a little greenish? It could be Vaseline. I’m no expert.
And this sure looks like he’s rubbing something on the ball in the seventh inning.
No definitive evidence, but that’s enough to make me skeptical. Sadly, I doubt we’ll ever get to the bottom of this. We’ll keep you posted if anything else comes out.
What do you guys think?
UPDATE: MLB has responded.
“We cannot draw any conclusions from this video,” the official said, according to WEEI.com’s Alex Speier. “There were no complaints from the Cardinals and the umpires never detected anything indicating a foreign substance throughout the game.
The official added that baseballs potentially being doctored is “an issue we always monitor anyway,” but it sounded like there will be no formal investigation since neither the Cardinals nor the umpiring crew raised any concerns about it.
- Filed Under:
- jon lester
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Mayweather Wouldn't Want to Fight Ronda Rousey
- Arlovski Speaks up on Klitschko Brothers and UFC Return
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead