Video The Top 10 Weirdest Things To Appear In McCovey Cove
When AT&T Park opened in 2000, McCovey Cove was more or less uncharted waters — used only for shuttle boats from the Oakland side of the Bay and an occasional brave kayaker in search of home run treasure. But with each passing season the small inlet played host to more and more traffic, and that stuff got more and more weird.
Fast forward to Wednesday, when this thing showed up in The Cove. Comcast SportsNet broadcaster Mike Krukow attempted to describe it thusly: “Well … it lights up.”
Come with us now to take a look back at the top 10 other most unusual things to have appeared in McCovey Cove.
1. Since ancient man first took to the sea, the question has been asked: is there ever a bad time for pole dancing? The answer is no.
2. On June 14, 2012, the Giants' Matt Cain threw a perfect game. Some say that this guy, who buzzed the stadium with his water pressure jet pack that same day, was the good luck charm that made it happen.
3. My hovercraft is full of eels! Dude built this cool Back to the Future DeLorean hovercraft with funding from a Kickstarter campaign. First sighted in The Cove on Aug. 11, 2012.
4. Are these giant baseballs Japanese Tsunami debris? No, some sort of promotion. This was taken during the 2012 World Series, I'm guessing.
5. I first saw dudes playing pickup water polo matches in The Cove during the 2010 World Series. This photo is from 2011, when the Cal Alumni team played the SF Olympic Club in The Cove in a scheduled match.
6. "There's people smokin' weed!" Dallas TV sports anchor Newy Scruggs became famous when, during a remote at The Cove before Game 1 of the 2010 World Series, he spotted people smoking pot nearby. I guess that doesn't happen at Rangers' games.
7. When AT&T Park opened in 2000, the team's big idea was to have Portuguese Water Dogs shag home run balls in The Cove. For whatever reason -- insurance, sharks -- this was discontinued the following season.
8. 2010 World Series. Guy in bear suit. Or, hell, real bear ... I don't know.
9. Long live The Hot Dog Kayak, inspiration for new Giants' motto: 'One With Everything'.
10. Aubrey Huff rally thong in morning, sailors take warning.