- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- U.S. Men Smashed The 4x400 Relay Record, Reportedly Received 'Love' Afterwards
- Minnesota Representative's Racist NBA Tweet Leaves A Big Mess
- Oh ... Oh No. Here's The Helmet An Arena League Team Will Be Wearing This Season
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Yusmeiro Petit Has Perfect Game Broken Up In Ninth By Eric “Party Pooper” Chavez
Down to his last out, all Yasmeiro Petit needed to do to achieve immortality, was to get Eric Chavez to roll over that 89-MPH four-seam fastball on the bottom outside half of the plate. Instead, the pinch hitter — who’s had limited appearances this year due to injury — volleyed the ball in front of Hunter Pence, and ruined everything (thanks a lot, jerk.) Petit promptly disposed of the next batter, sealing the Giants 3-0 victory, and ruining any chance he’ll ever be remembered by anyone. Ever. Even his kids.
It was only his third start of the season.
In a lot of ways, this is a better way to lose your perfect game than, say, having it unjustly stolen from you by a sleepy umpire…
Petit’s near perfection comes almost 12 years to the day after Mike Mussina’s pitched a nearly identical game on September 1st, 2001, only Carl Everett played the role of Eric Chavez.
Photo via Getty
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?