- Team USA Stares Blankly As New Zealand Team Performs Ceremonial Haka Dance
- 5 Takeaways From The New NBA Live 15 Trailer
- 'Tiny Titan' Glitch Is Further Proof Madden 15 Is The Football Version Of Super Smash Bros.
- Cam Newton To Jerricho Cotchery, The Panthers' Sleeper Connection
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Guess Whose Jersey Is The Top Seller On NBA.Com Right Now?
After wearing an emergency No. 46 in his debut on Sunday, Jason Collins will wear his preferred number, 98, for the Nets against the Trail Blazers (note irony) tonight.
America approves, it seems.
Jason Collins #98 jersey was the top selling jersey on the NBA's website store today pic.twitter.com/ty5CvFUHys
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) February 26, 2014
The No. 98 honors Matthew Shepard, the victim of an antigay hate crime murder in 1998. New York Daily News:
Shepard’s father Jason spoke to ESPN about the impact Collins and openly gay football player Michael Sam have on kids who are living ‘hidden lives.’
“Jason helps those kids go ahead and live their lives to the fullest, and take their talent in academics, in sports, wherever it can take them,” Jason Shepard said by phone Monday. “Some kids are still living hidden lives, living in fear, and the more you see Jason and Michael Sam and others encouraging them to be themselves, they’ll understand they can get to the top of whatever ladder they’re climbing.”
Collins, the NBA’s first openly gay player, signed a 10-day contract with the Nets on Sunday.
The jerseys were available at NBAStore.com and the NBA Store in Manhattan after the league received hundreds of inquiries both online and at the store, the spokesman said.
And the people have spoken. Despite what media and league officials have been saying, you never know how popular a player really is until a high school kid actually shows up in school wearing his jersey.
- Filed Under:
- jason collins
- Patriots Cheerleaders Enjoy Swimsuit Calendar Shoot in Cancun
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?