- Jerry Buss, You Will Be Remembered By This Dope L.A. Mansion
- Week 15: Fantasy Football FLEX Rankings: Start Or Sit Your Risky Players?
- This Is How Gary Payton Does The Highlights
- SportsGrid's Week 15 NFL Pick$: Last Week Was Absurdly Profitable
- Former Rutgers Player Sues Over Ex-Basketball Coach Rice's Behavior
J.B. Smoove’s New Show Gave Us This Amazing Story Of How Converse Got Larry Johnson To Put On The Dress And Become Grandmama
If you didn’t know comedian J.B. Smoove had a new show on the Madison Square Garden Network, we don’t blame you — it only came to our attention in a fit of afternoon channel surfing. But “J.B. Smoove: Four Courses” features an eclectic lineup of personalities (Judah Friedlander, Black Thought, John Salley, Larry Johnson) sitting around an ornate dinner table talking shit, and we can dig that.
No idea if this show will have staying power, but it’s already provided one golden Larry Johnson back story that we’d never heard before. It’s about how Johnson became the Converse Grandmama — basically the ’90s equivalent of Uncle Drew.
Apparently, Nike didn’t want to sign Johnson coming out of UNLV because they weren’t convinced he’d be a star. So the number one overall pick and 1992 Rookie of the Year headed to Converse to work with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on a commercial that never ended up getting made… and the rest is history.
Check it out:
By the way, for all you youngbloods who have no idea who Grandmama is (though Tyler Perry sure does), here’s what we’re talking about:
- Filed Under:
- Larry Johnson
- 24 Hilariously Unfortunate Names In Sports
- 5 Fantasy Basketball Sleepers You Must Grab
- Weigh-in Has Alien, Short Cake, Kick-Ass Threats
- Manny Pacquiao Claims He Has No Money