- 8 Players To Sell High After Your Fantasy Football Draft
- NFL Finally Delivers News: Josh Gordon's One Year Suspension Upheld
- UH-OH: John Rocker Going On Survivor With A Gay Couple
- Preliminary Deal Reached For $410 Million Soccer Stadium In Las Vegas
- Brett Favre Talks Returning To Green Bay, No Regrets About NFL Career
Mike Shanahan: Nobody In NFL History Has Played At RGIII’s Level
Robert Griffin III is incredible; this is not news. But Mike Shanahan is getting a little carried away with exactly how incredible he thinks his quarterback is playing.
“I don’t think anybody in the history of the league has played at his level,” Shanahan said. “At least over the last 40 years, when I take a look at the numbers and what he has done, I don’t think anybody has played at his level. As we’ve talked about before, he’s got a unique skill set — his ability to throw, drop back, play action, put a threat on a defense with his running ability — and he will just get better and better. He’s just scratching the surface. And the reason I say that is because he works at it.”
This is especially interesting because, as you know, Shanahan coached John Elway, Joe Montana and Steve Young. And I’m guessing he has watched Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and every other quarterback considered in the GOAT discussion.
Considering that Andrew Luck and even Russell Wilson are having similarly spectacular seasons, this is a bit ridiculous. RGIII is far from a lock to win Rookie of the Year, and as incredible as he’s been, few people would argue that he’s been the best quarterback in the NFL.
Obviously, Mike Shanahan is just backing up his quarterback. But this is Rex-Ryan-level bravado, and it’s unwarranted. Maybe RGIII will become the greatest quarterback ever, maybe he’ll merely be tenth-best. Regardless, his level of play his rookie season is not the highest of any quarterback, ever.
On his next step to greatness, Griffin must conquer the clutch machine that is Tony Romo.
- The Evolution of NFL Logos Through the Years
- 40-Year-Old Hot Mom Nabs Saints Cheerleader Job
- The Top 10 Hottest NFL Draft WAGs
- Jon Lester Admits His Problems with Living in Oakland