- Colbert Addresses Sean Hannity's Belt Whipping Adrian Peterson Defense
- Howard Stern Dude Interrupts Goodell Press Conference: 'Don't Take Me To An Elevator!'
- SNY Host Blasts Jeter As A Clown Fraud For Doing Gatorade Commercial
- The Best Running Backs To Snag Off The Waiver Wire This Week
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Pro-Pot Billboard Outside Denver’s Sports Authority Field Is Ready For Some Football
So another giant sign at Denver’s Sports Authority Field is causing all kinds of controversy. No, not the one with Joe Flacco — those have all pretty much been defaced, haven’t they? Joining Flacco outside of the stadium will be the ginormous billboard you see below.
— Brandon Rittiman (@BrandonRittiman) September 4, 2013
Oh wacky wonder weed, will you be my date for the 2013 NFL opener?
We should also point out the awesome fact that the official name of the stadium is Sports Authority Field at Mile High, which is much more appropriate.
It won’t be the first pro-marijuana billboard outside of a major U.S. sporting event — the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has that distinction, believe it or not. But it’s a first for team sports.
The 48-foot-wide billboard–in Broncos colors, no less–produced marijuana policy reform group the Marijuana Policy Project reads, “Stop driving players to drink! A safer choice is now legal (here).”
As if you didn’t know, in November Colorado and Washington both passed laws allowing recreational use of marijuana for adults. And the federal government recently said they were cool with that.
So if the pendulum is swinging that way, why not decriminalize pot among NFL players? That’s what the Marijuana Policy Project, which is responsible for the billboard, wants to know. Its statement:
“The NFL’s harsh marijuana penalties do nothing to promote the health and safety of the players. If anything, they put players in danger by steering them toward using alcohol and away from making the safer choice to use marijuana instead. We hope Commissioner Goodell will explain why the NFL is willing to promote the use of alcohol among its players and fans, but unwilling to recognize that a safer alternative is now legal here.”
I for one will not rest until the Broncos have a halftime mascot race between a marijuana cigarette, a bong and a pot brownie.
READ: NASCAR Fans Will Be Treated To Pro Marijuana Ad At Brickyard 400 [SportsGrid]
- Filed Under:
- Denver Broncos
- Teila Tuli Heartbroken 20 Years After UFC
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Dana White Speaks On Firing Chael Sonnen
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy