- Meet Joakim Noah's Father, Who Is Definitely Joakim Noah's Father
- Wichita State Lost The MVC Title Game, According To Their Own Shirts
- A Light At The End Of The Nerd Tunnel: Nate Silver Declares Start Date For FiveThirtyEight Site
- You Know It's Spring Training When Curtis Granderson Rubs Your Butt
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Texas — Yes, Texas — Sports Anchor Wins The Week With Awesome Michael Sam Commentary
Dale Hansen is the sports anchor at ABC local affiliate WFAA in Dallas, and on Wednesday he took some time to deliver a segment on Michael Sam, the Missouri linebacker who recently came out as gay.
The piece drew hundreds of positive comments and went viral, which surprised Hansen, who said that he was only talking about what he thought was right. Excerpt:
You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You’re the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy’s welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they’re welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We’re comfortable with that.
And this was his signature paragraph, which I find quite profound.
“I’m not always comfortable when a man tells me he’s gay; I don’t understand his world,” Hansen adds later. “But I do understand that he’s part of mine.”
You need to see this video if you haven’t already.
Dale Hansen—sports anchor who delivered that speech re: Michael Sam—spoke bravely about being a sexual-assault victim http://t.co/iRPsztgtEX
— Asawin Suebsaeng (@swin24) February 13, 2014
- Filed Under:
- michael sam
- Which Golfer Has This Sick California Mansion?
- 15 Hottest Daughters of Professional Athletes
- Real Basketball Wives That Cheated On Their Ballers
- Rare Photos of The Undertaker as a Teenager