- Madden 15 Player Ratings: Top 5 Running Backs And Fullbacks
- Johnny Manziel's Nissan Commercial Converted To A Horror Film Trailer
- Check Out Daniela Ospina, Wife Of New Real Madrid Star, James Rodriguez
- Manchester United Unveils New Away Kits, Chevy Logo Still Too Goddamn Big
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
The NFL Wants To Change The Rule So That A Taunting Penalty Negates A Touchdown
As Golden Tate crossed the 25-yard-line Monday night, he turned and waved to Rams free safety Rodney McLeod, who almost caught up to him. Tate scored, of course, but was slapped with a 15-yard penalty that was enforced on the kickoff. Some found that to be a strange punishment for a violation that occured before the ball crossed the goal line, namely, the NFL.
[NBCSports] “A lot of people felt that the touchdown shouldn’t have counted [but] a taunting foul is always treated as a dead-ball foul, meaning whatever happened during the play counts, and the foul is enforced on the next play, which would be the kickoff,” Blandino said. “In college, this action would take back the touchdown. Tate started taunting at the 25-yard line. The college rule, that’s enforced at the spot of the foul, so they’d go from a touchdown to first-and-10 at the 40, which would be a gigantic penalty. The NFL rule, it’s a dead-ball foul, it’s enforced on the kickoff. But I’m sure that’s something that the Competition Committee will look at in the offseason.”
Here’s our take.
The NFL is a self-regulating organism. As much as it’s obnoxious and unsportsmanlike to do what Golden Tate did, discounting the touchdown as a punitive measure doesn’t fit the crime. A penalty that allows for a touchdown to happen should negate the score, but a penalty that has to do with “manners” should be taken care of with a fine. Either way, a guy who taunts like that gets a target on his back, which, as well all know by know, is a punishment in and of itself.
Let us know what you think. We’re curious…
- San Antonio Spurs' Boris Diaw Crashes Bachelorette Party
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier
- Ronda Rousey Ran Over Alexis Davis